How did you get your child to poop in the potty?

The 3 yr old I have will not poop in the potty. We have tried almost ever trick or bribe in the book and nothing seems to work. What is your advise and why do you think he will not poop in the potty. By the way he is potty trained other than the pooping. He is not scared of the toliet either.

1911

Asked by 1911 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had the same issue with my son! Nothing bribry wise was working no sticker, toy , candy etc... I was FRUSTRATED to say the least... I tried to take away his favs...1st movies on my bed...still nothing 2nd hios Thomas trains...nothing 3rd his passy (yep he still used them) nothing (JOY though cause this was killin g off another issue) 4th his Green (blanket) this worked like a CHARM he could not lloose GREEN! he has never had anothe poop accident... he just turned 8 and still has GREEN his blankey!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 3:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• seems like lots of kids are like that.
    is there a reason why you're in a hurry? he'll get it eventually.
    Anonymous

• I was begining to wonder if my son would just always poop in his pants. This was a real battle for us and my son seemed to find it cute and funny when he had an accident. I stopped cleaning him up and openly expressed my displeasure. I would take him to the bathroom and make him do all the cleanup and then put his dirty clothes in the washer. A couple of times the mess was so bad I made him stand in the shower to clean up. He HATED it and I think that pushed him to do the right thing and poop in the toilet!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 3:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My 3 year old is doing the same thing. She is completely potty trained, but refuses to poop in the potty. She will hold it until I finally give in a put her in a pull up or diaper, and I mean she will hold it for days. For whatever reason she's not ready to poop on the potty, so I don't fight it anymore. She'll eventually do it when she's ready. It's not a battle I want to fight right now.
    pumpkins_mama

Answer by pumpkins_mama at 3:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Anonymous he does not need to still be pooping in his pants when he get in school. I know he will get eventually but I am looking for tips to help him get out of this situation
    1911

Comment by 1911 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• marshsmom all that has been done and he too thinks it is funny. It is very frustrating especially since he knows what he is doing!
    1911

Comment by 1911 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Have you tried big boy unders? We , especially with my grands would make a big fuss about new underwear! I would take them to Target and say "wow your are such a big (boy) or (girl)", then let them pick the character unders that were the choice they wanted!!! The little one got to carry the unders to the register and tell everyone they saw "look at my new unders". Then when they got home it was "oh try 'em on"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow they look awesome "look G-pa", and so on. The last thing was gently to say "I hope these won't get poopy". It worked!!!!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 3:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• 1911, I would also look for his "cues" that he needed to go and I would put him on the toilet backwards with some matchbox cars to play with. Our biggest frustration is that he would go poop in the potty at school and had gone for us at home as well. This was entirely behavioral. In addition to making him clean it up himself I didn't make a big deal about it, since he was acting like he was being cute I just told him it was gross and didn't say much else beyond guiding him through the clean up. Good luck 1911, I know it's frustrating.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It is definitly the attention thing that he likes. We have done the big boy underwear and it doesn't work either. We might try what a mom above said about the blanket we did it with his tractor but he has something similar to the blanket so we can try that one.
    1911

Comment by 1911 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I sat and hugged and rubbed my daughters back the first few times to relax her. It worked for us.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:12 AM on Jan. 19, 2011