Is it normal that my 2 1/2 year old doesnt want to do anything for himself?

I try to let himself pull his pants off..you know easy ellastic wast loose ankle pants and he will just yell "no, mommy!" I would get it started for him and he will still insist on me doing things for him! I know he can do these things he used to take his pants off when I got them started for him. there are also other little things that he wont do for himself...like he wont get a toy he wants...I don't know why he is going backwards and like he is trying to act little! I am not around babies nor am i expecting...he is a only child.....any ideas? i am so worried since he is basically not around kids his own age accept once a week when I take him to my friends house who has a 3 year old. I need advice...

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes.

Is it normal to shove people into the future as fast as possible? It certainly seems to be a major theme of parenting advice in North America.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think his behavior is normal, my son is 3 and he has gotten better but he still has days when he is "needy". Growing up and becoming a big boy is scarey and overwhelming sometimes and I think we as parents forget that even the smallest things can create big fears and insecurities. I would continue to encourage him and also be supportive when he asks you to. Make sure you spend a little one on one time with him each day also.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 3:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i was thinking about doing a reward system for my dd. she is only 22 months but something like might be a good idea. she got real excited that if she goes potty she will get a sticker. something like if you put up your pants. some little encouragement. sometimes a little creativity works. she wants to do alot of things on her own though. i think i have the opposite problem. she doesn;t want me to help her when she needs it. good luck and i wouldn;t worry about it. just keep encouraging him.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011