Looking for new ways to find local Pagans...

I live about an hour from the city. There are no covens in my area, but I would like to start a "working group" or at the very least a local "get together" group. I know their is a good amount of Pagans within the towns surrounding mine (I see them from time to time & my mother who's JW tells me she runs in to them doing door to door). BUT, we all tend to isolate because it's still an area that's dangerous for Pagans to be out and open in.

I'm checked out Yahoo Groups, WitchVox, MeetUp & other online things but the few I have found have never returned my messages...

Any ideas would help! I'm tired of being alone!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Join a group on here.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Done that... But no one is local to me. I want real in person people, not some computer screen friend...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Wait what is the group on here?....i would love to have more people to talk to that wont bash me for my belief =)

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Just keep looking. I know how frustrating it is, I really do. I know 2 other Pagans in my area, but they're both Wiccan and worse than most of the Christians I know when it comes to judging people who don't believe exactly like them. It's also not safe around here (the rednecks here, which is 99.99% of our local population, would LOVE a chance to burn a witch or hang him/her). I haven't had any luck, either, but I still have hope that I'll find someone. Just keep joining groups and stuff and looking. Eventually someone will come along. Look for people who live up to twice as far as you're willing to drive, that way you could meet in the middle and neither of you have to drive a REALLY long distance. Also, keep checking Witchvox and the like for local events, like Pagan Pride Day and festivals that are close enough for you to drive, even if it's farther than you'd like to. (Continued)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• An event like that is a one time kind of thing, but you might meet someone local that isn't listed on any of the forums and stuff. And check out any local metaphysical shops (again, even if it's a bit farther than you'd like to drive regularly) because you might get lucky and meet someone there, as well. Good luck and I really hope you find a friend nearby soon!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Where are you? Kinda hard for anyone to know if they are close to you if you don't mention that :0)
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I know no one on here is close, cause I ran a mom search and there weren't any CafeMom's AT ALL that were within 20 miles of me. So there def. aren't any Pagan moms close.

As for the metaphysical shop idea, there aren't any. Even in the city they have all pretty much closed down. There are groups and covens in the city, a good bit of them, but I can't go that far, it's at least an hour away... I can't drive that far and I'm terrified of buses (weird phobia)...

But I'm in PA.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Also check your local organic market,, music store & craft stores. (Candle making anyone?) Is there a military base near by? If so contact the chaplain and see if they have an "Open Circle" or "Alternative Worship" group. Don't have base access? Most will meet you at the main gate. Go online and look for a local Spiral Scout group or see if there is an ADF or Asatru group near by. They are not Wiccan but are normally willing to talk with you and tend to be very well connected.
    Feel free to IM me if you are near by.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 3:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Ha, thanks eliza, but we don't have that stuff here either... There is a Music Shop at the mall, and a JoAnn Fabrics about 40 mins from me... But just about everyone here just shops at WalMart... There really isn't anything else here... I've never seen an Organic Market in my life... Although there is a farm local where you can buy stuff, it's more like a road side stand than anything, and they are Amish, so I can't imagine they would help me much... As for military? No... None at all... Think very very small towns in a locked away conservative Christian valley!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Do you have a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship nearby? Even if they don't have any other pagan or Wiccan members, they may know of other local contacts for you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2011