Has anyone ever heard of a water birth or had one?

My sister thinks they are gross but they seem relaxing or at least as relaxing as someone could be who is giving birth.

1911

Asked by 1911 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had a water birth and a typical on the bed birth...both unmedicated. The water birth was BY FAR better. My daughter was nine and a half pounds and I barely felt her emerge...a slight burn and that was it. I wasn't sore at all afterward. With my son I started pushing on the bed so she could see if I was stretching enough, and by that time I wasn't getting back up to move...and it was way worse. I tore, was a bit sore afterward, and was just overall less comfortable. The amount of "stuff" which gets in the water is less than you might imagine...and the midwife thoroughly rinse myself and the birthing tub so there was no time to really even care. I hope my next is a water birth.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Lots of people have water births. Water is very supportive of that uncomfortable amount of weight, and statistically safer than hospital births.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I hope hope HOPE for a homebirth my next kiddo and will have a pool of some sort there in case it seems appealing to me. If is a little gross, however, when you're trying for a natural route anything to ease the pain has to be worth a shot
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• They supposedly have a much lower risk for tearing. It's also an easier transition for the baby.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My BFF had one. She liked it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Heard of one. Had one. Attended several.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i have had one and will be having another in july,
    they do decrease the risk of tearing, also it is a GREAT pain relief and just calms you down overall.
    Baby309

Answer by Baby309 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i would love to have a water birth but i have no clue how you go about something like that... plus i think my insurance only covers regular hospital birth :
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I had a water birth and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. I was having a hard time staying calm and then got in the water and felt so much better. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is having a natural vaginal birth.
    Happymom1216

Answer by Happymom1216 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I tried 3 times. With my first and third things come up that I could not deliver in there. But labored, it is called the midwifes epidural. When I get in the water I get so relaxed. With my last I was so relaxed. I was able to just breath like normal and went from 5 cm to 10cm in an hour. With my second I had her at a hospital and they did not allow water births. But I got to labor in there. I will always use water for labor and hope to some day deliver in the tub.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011