Would you know

where to go or how to get public assistance should the need arise? When I left my husband almost 6 years ago I had no idea how much assistance was available (food stamps, daycare subsidies, etc.) and by the time I figured it all out, I was making it on my own. I just found it ironic that when I needed it I didn't have the information, and now I have the information and don't need it. I wish I could find a way to get the information to other women who were in the situation I was in! It would have made my first year much easier, on me and my kids!

Asked by missanc at 3:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• That is great of you to want to help. I agree, the people who NEED the services have no idea they exist. Women's shelters, pediatrician and family practice offices, schools, etc... might be a good place to start.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It is hard for some when they can't get out, or have access to a computer... It's sad but there are a lot of women out there that only get out when allowed. That's why you see in public bathrooms, etc domestic violence posters with numbers to call for help. It's a way to get to those who are under the control of someone....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Every town has a library, all you have to do is go there and ask for local public assistance contact information. Or you can go to your state website and it's all there... It's really not hard to find that information at all when you need it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I went and made a general application for food stamps. I was never offered subsidized daycare, low income housing information, etc. and not ever knowing anyone who had been on these programs, I didn't even know they existed! There are several other programs in my area that would have been a huge help, but it's hard to find out that the programs are even available. If you didn't grow up in the system, I found it VERY hard to get plugged in.

Comment by missanc (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I only did because I took the bus past the building on the way to and from work
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011