Extra caricular activities

Do you have your child in extra caricular activities? Are they into sports? If you are you a sports parent? How much extra is too much?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• My baby is too small still, but I'm hoping to get her into 1 extra curricular activity at a time. I would love for her to be a girl scout, but she can pick whatever it is she wants, just 1 at a time.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My daughter does Brownies, basketball and tennis. Most of her friends do more. She will play softball in the spring, but then basketball will be over. She is 7. My son is 15. He plays hockey on the varsity HS team. That is every day. He also works at the rink. My youngest is 5. He plays hockey 3 times a week.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• None of my kids are involved in anything this year. In previous years we lived in Chicago and the park district offered all sorts of cheap, fun activities. They were allowed 1 each (with 4 kids it got to be too much with them in multiple sports/activities). But we moved and the park district here doesn't offer anything (the town next to us does but I don't have a car to get them there). My 9yo has just started to get into sports. The girls (10, 8 and 4) aren't into sports except many gymnastics and we can't afford that.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• As far as what is too much - I think they should have a few days off a week. Some kids go from one sport to the other, I think that is too much. Not more than one a day, unless it's Saturday, and even then it should be spaced out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Our son goes to the gym daily with us, so he can play/exercise and we can exercise. We stress the importance of exercise. But activites, we try to keep it to 1 per "season", but sometimes swim lessons overlaps with a sport, or a sport may overlap a couple weeks. He doesn't do any scholarly extra activities yet (too young, not offered until 3rd grade), but when he does, that will have to be limited too, by his choice. We believe in some down time at home, and not being out and about more than a couple nights a week, including weekends (other than gym). As he gets older, i'm sure he'll be more busy, but there will still need to be some time town at home.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 4:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My oldest runs cross-country, swims, and runs track. He also works as a lifeguard and is involved with student council. My youngest runs cross-country, indoor track and plays lacrosse. He also plays the trumpet/bugle and works with our local fire department as a junior firefighter. Both of them are very busy, but they also still have some time to do nothing/relax/hang out with friends. I think that as long as their grades are good and they are not overstressed, then they should be able to do as much as they want to.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 6:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have a DD in dance, a DD who plays violin. My older son played soccer and football and he plays the guitar. I enjoyed being a sports mom. I have two more to go, and I hope they play sports and are into music as well.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2011