In need of a credit line...

My husband and I have been married for 5 years. My credit was ruined in my previous marriage. My current husband had no credit. In the last 4 years we now have 2 car loans. Both in his name. One through a finance company and one through a credit union. We recently inquired about purchasing the home we live in. The banker said he needed 3 lines of credit and one should be a revolving line. He suggested we get a credit card. My husbands bank didnt approve him and told him the best place to go was a clothing store. We tried getting a credit card through his bank and sears and were both declined a few months ago. I hesitate to try again because I dont want too many inquires on the report. We are just looking for a line that will give us a low limit we can make a small purchase on and pay off month to month. Does anyone have any suggestions of a card that is fairly easy to get? The credit he has is good (never missed a payment) he just doesnt have much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• try walmart paypal or amazon. you can apply online. sears and lowes are hard to get
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 3:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• a secured credit card is the easiest way to go. A bank will take $500-2000 and 'lock' it in a an account then give you are card to charge and make payments on. It is NOT a pre-paid card. You still make payments and it still sysles just like any other credit card. It is just used for building credit without the bank 'taking a risk'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Did you ask the bank if you could get a CC with only a 300.00 limit?
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• lo. That should say 'cycles'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Target does have a credit card try there.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The secured credit card is the way to go. Any of the store cards will be harder to get. The secured card will give you exactly what you need.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Does the credit union you went through have credit cards? They might be willing since you are paying off a car with them.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Take Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. It is a great program to help people deal with credit and to become debt free. It is a Christian based and very well program. I don't have but one credit card (Lane Bryant), but I don't use it anymore. Husband died at age 50 and left me with three children to raise by myself on one income and mounds of credit card debt. Didn't know this was going to happen. Ended up filing bankruptcy and starting over. One card is ok for emergencies only, but they are to easy to use. Good Luck.
    Caring1

Answer by Caring1 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The fact that he can't even get a credit card makes me think that you guys might not be ready to buy a home. The last thing you'd want to do is get into a home with a rip off interest rate, variable interest rate and/or a balloon.

Maybe you guys could wait a little while and dry again?

I know you didn't ask, but I second using the Dave Ramsey program. You don't have to pay a dime- just check out his book Total Money Makeover from the library or listen to his archives online at DaveRamsey.com.

Good luck.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2011