Free site to file federal taxes online

I tried turbo tax as I did last year, but....at the end it said to put in credit card info......i thought it was free? I clicked on the free one!

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• I had that happen to me one year on Turbo Tax- I think somewhere during the process I had accidentally agreed to some sort of audit protection or double check service that I didn't know was at a cost, so then at the end they wanted money. I ended up going back into Turbo Tax and creating a new user id and starting over, then really watching that I never agreed to any pop up or any of those things that they offer. But every site should have free filing online for federal return- I don't think they can charge for the basic, unless you upgrade by choice.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• This is what I found.  Click here.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• There is no such thing as all of it being free. To file your federal its free but the state charges to be filed.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I know, I'm not filing state online, i'm doing that myself because turbo tax says to file for FEDERAL is free (=
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Oh my goodness Mary, you're right. I have went over it THREE times, and i'm looking at it now...and what do you know, it says DELUXE lol! silly me ''/
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't think anything is free. It is a gimmick to get you online and interested, then at the end they want you to subscribe to something or they want you to purchase something. It always ends up costing us.
    Caring1

Answer by Caring1 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It's free (= I just finished filing federal...didn't cost me a thing.
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I accidentally had us pay a little bit last year too. You have to be super careful with those sites. They are constantly throwing in options that require you to pay.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011