Has a family member bragged to you about how their child doen't watch t.v? or play with barbies?

A family member and his wife (both are teachers) have a 20 month old girl. Anytime we are around them, they tell everyone how their child doesn't watch a bit of T.V. And then this last weekend a Barbie was laying around the house and somebody asked whose it was. The original family member I'm speaking of says, "Oh, that's not ours." Said with pride in his voice.

lynnard

Asked by lynnard at 1:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• Give them time, reality will set in soon and they will eat thier words!
    Everyone is a "great parent" at first....lol
    My sister always says that she was a Perfect Parent until she had kids!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• So I really don't get your question. Why does it matter what their kid does? I wouldn't be bothered by that at all and it doesn't make you or your child bad that you do.

Anonymous

• Right... what's the question... do you let it bother you? Guess it's my own insecurities about letting my own child watch an hour of t.v and then she has a lot of barbies. How do you deal with people's comments like that? I'm about to go off on them and their perfect parenting... or buy them a barbie.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• It is hard when someone around is toting how great they are at things that they do differently than you do. Often times you can take it as a offense to you because they do the "right" thing and if you do it another way then you are obviously doing the "wrong" thing. I am guessing that is where you are going with this? Blow them off. I agree with Christy, at a certain point the shine will come off the apple and they will be reduced to putting their child in front of the tv so they can wash dishes or be alone.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• LOL....My SIL was like this, and now her son is a TOTAL BRAT---- HAHAHA, serves her right!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Try not let it bother you. There are always parents out there who think they andtheir children are perfect and can do no wrong. Just know what works for you and be proud of it. :-)
    VastVeranda

Answer by VastVeranda at 2:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Do 20 month olds PLAY with Barbies? :/ I actually admire them for the TV bit, but don't let it bother you that they seem to like to rub it in.
    Anonymous

• My husband got his feathers ruffled by the Barbie comment but I had the same response as the last Anonymous... my brother said that because a 20 month old doesn't play with them yet. Oh well, I've got a great couple of kids and my 1 year old can't stand t.v. but knowing what I know now, I'll always say that every child is different,not better.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 3:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2008