Sick and breastfeeding

I woke up this morning with a nasty flu. I am EBF my LO. So far, all I've kept down all day are some sips of water. I really don't want to get dehydrated, and I don't want my supply to start hurting... And I don't want DS to get sick... Any ideas on what I can eat/drink/do?

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 4:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Health

• Just keep drinking water if that is all you can do. Crackers are a good calm food for you tummy. Take care and feel better soon.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Do NOT stop breastfeeding. Your baby will not get sick from bf, just be sure to wash your hands before picking her up to bf, don't cough on her (into a burp rag is best), and no kisses on her forehead unitl you're better:) You baby WILL get the anti-bodies your body makes to fight off your flu, thus keeping her more healthy. And if she does get the flu, it will mostlikely be not as severe since she's been getting your anti-bodies. Also, if she gets the flu, bf will keep her nurished and hydrated. Try to eat what you can, but the food is not as important as the fluids. Try to (sipping will keep them down better) as much as you can any fluids (though milk based products may upset your tummy).

How do i know this and stand behind it? I've been a bf advocate/educator since 2002. Good luck, any questons, please feel free to pm me!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 4:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have been sick a couple times this winter and continued bf. My dd has not been sick at all.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 4:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2011