do you have kids a grade or 2 apart? (bus, lunch room, etc question)

My kids have been raised basically like twins. They potty trained together, attended preschool together, share toys and secrets and even friends. This year when my son started kindergarten and daughter did not it was an adjustment to them both. Next September she'll be in kinder and he'll advance to 1st. ... how long do I have before he'll start ignoring her, refusing to sit by her, etc??

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• It may not happen at all. It never did with my 3 children. They were always looking out for one another, and now that they are grown, they still do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• good question.. i have a 2 year old and 1 year old and i am interested in knowing these things too. the youngest is probably going to be devastated when both of her sisters (have a 4 year old as well) are in school and she's still stuck at home with mommy for another year. she will only be a grade behind my middle daughter.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have a first grader and 3rd grader and they are still buddies. Perhaps because they are both boys it's still "cool" to have the little one hang around? I dunno. Regardless, the whole school knows they are brothers and they have mutual friends from both classes. Your kids don't necessarily have to fall into the other category of not being close any longer.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• their devotion is pretty intense right now..... when he gets off the school bus he grabs her in a long intense hug.... they miss each other terribly. If he could call her during the day I am sure he would.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My kids are in 1st and second. They don't even see each other all day. Only on the bus in the morning and I pick them up in the afternoon. They may see each other in passing but their lunch and recess are at different times.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have boy/girl twins, and they are super close. At home they rarely fight, they play together, and they randomly hug for no apparent reason. However, at daycare I am told it is different, especially since moving up to the preschool class and making friends with the older boys and girls. When they moved up, Leah made friends with the "big girls" right away, and every time Daniel got close she'd push him and tell him to go away. Daniel has made friends now too, and he's off doing "boy stuff" while Leah is hanging with the girls. When we get home each day they are best friends once again.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I forgot to say - the teacher has separated my kids at lunch and naptime. They tend to get into trouble when they are close enough to touch.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My kids are in 5th, 3rd and 2nd (all in one school for now) and they all basically hang out with the same friends after school. They are all in one big pack most of the time. In school they don't really see each other. Their lunches and recesses are all at different times but they say hi to each other when they run into each other at school. As far as I know they don't sit together on the bus because they sit with their friends. The younger kids have to sit up closer to the the driver and the 5th graders are the only ones allowed in the back (so of course that's where my 10yo sits).
    I see next year being the dividing point for the oldest. She will start middle school...new school, different bus, etc. She's only 15 months older than her brother and 2 years older than her sister so, I hope, they will always be friends even if they don't spend all their time together.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Maybe not ever. My boys are 13 months apart and a year apart for school. They are very close, I hope they always will be.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:28 AM on Jan. 19, 2011