Is anyone really objective?

There are truths on this side of the Pyranees, which are falsehoods on the other. ~Blaise Pascal

I wonder if it is possible to be able to truly see things through the eyes of someone on the 'other' side. What do you think?

cleanaturalady

Asked by cleanaturalady at 4:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think everyone can do it. I just think most people when doing it find reasons why their reasoning & beliefs are better.

Answer by gemgem at 5:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I can see both sides of a lot of things whether or not I believe in them but others are so unbelievable they just fail me
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• What do you mean they fail you itsmesteph11? They fail to convince you or they fail in their beliefs?
    cleanaturalady

Comment by cleanaturalady (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have LIVED on both sides of a number of spectrums--political, demographic, religious, etc. And I have weighed the opinions of all sides at one point or another. The opinions I hold now are the result of having lived a varied and experienced life. Most arguments I hear now are not well formed, not based on life experience, not based on personal research, but rather from "what they hear," their inexperience in life, and their emotions!

I am more accepting of the beliefs and opinions of those who have walked the walk, and not just talked the talk!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I just mean I someimes fail to be able to see their point. Maybe I said that wrong LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Ah okay, steph, I gotcha. I find myself in the same position at times.

Lorikeet, I agree, I have a hard time with people who just go along with the way they were raised or what someone told them was the case. I have this problem with politics and religion, among other things. I have formed my own opinions after much thought and research, so it is foreign to me that someone would not. It's just the way it is, I suppose.
    cleanaturalady

Comment by cleanaturalady (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I'm willing to consider anything, but I need a better reason for it than "because I said so". When the exchange of ideas fails, it is inevitably when someone isn't willing or able to provide anything beyond that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think it can be difficult, if we're being honest here, to see issues from another point of view, especially in times when politics of all sorts are so divisive. It seems like teetering on the opposing side to consider an opposing of view, or as a sign of weakness.

With that said, however, I think it's very important to understand what motivates people. We've all lived different lives and have drawn different conclusions about our political and spiritual beliefs. What gets me is that we as a society seem to confuse "opinion" with "fact"--something that we see quite often in the P&CE section of CM. People feel so strongly about their opinions that they start to think of them as solid truths, which makes anyone with a different opinion just plain wrong--or worse, stupid.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• There is a difference between a truth and an opinion. I can't change a truth. It is what is it. I can form an opinion from a truth. I can see how others arrive at their opinion whether I agree with them or not. We can't rewrite the truths to fit our opinions to give them more credibility. Above all else, we have to all be able to return to the exact same truth. It gives us stability to know that no matter what your opinion we all operate from the same honest place. Once we delete, cleanse, change words to better words, or just rewrite the truth, where do we go to refocus and check? When we return to the facts/truth, they are different. What then?

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It depends on your personality and the way your brain works. Some people can, some people can't.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2011