Question about churches and race (please actually read before you answer, it is a little long for background info)

I KNOW this may sound racist, but this is something that was discussed in my Sociology class a few days ago.

The topic of race came up because we were talking about different areas of the country and the racial diversity, etc. (we live in a rural area where less than 1% of the population are NOT Caucasian). Then we moved to religious diversity which is where this came up:

A few people said that when they lived in/visited other areas and were invited to new churches, the churches with mainly African American members seemed more lively and into everything (singing, etc.), where the churches that were mainly Caucasian were, for the most part, very quiet except for the preacher.

Has anyone out there noticed this? I haven't, but we live in the Bible Belt so you get all kinds of different churches around here, from uber quiet to so loud you can hear it down the road lol.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think it's racist; to me, acknowledging cultural differences does not mean racism. And yes, I have noticed that many, if not most, primarily black churches are very "spirit filled", meaning they yell and sing and throw their hands up and get really down with the Lord. "White"churches vary wildly--I've seen them ranging from almost dead-silent to people falling over in aisles, speaking in tongues, but most are somewhere in between.
    These are just observations I've made in my time here on planet earth and not meant to offend anyone white or black. :-)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have noticed how worship styles can vary according to race and I think that it is tied more to their cultural background and demographics have much to do with the variations you see.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Good ? & yes i noticed this all the time.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 4:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't think it's racists I think it's pretty typical from the churches I have been to (and as a preacher's kid I've been to A LOT of them).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The two churches I've attended are very diverse and both have "enthusiasic" Praise and Worship. I enjoy both the diversity and the style of Praise and Worship. I guess in other churches it may be due to the denomination or just cultural differences. Good question though :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If you have never been to a black church service, that is something you definitely need to experience. It is a lively joyful place. The ladies all wear their Sunday hats, gloves (older ladies) and along with their Bibles, they have fans (paper fans on wooden sticks). You can hear the shouts of Amen from outside the building.

A close friend of the family is the preacher at a black church. When he just talks to you, he speaks in a low, baritone voice, but when the man gets to preaching ... the people a county a way can hear him! That's without a microphone! Unfortunately he uses one!

One more thing about black churches that I have noticed. They seem to really care about their communities and reach out to those in need when others will not. When my son died, I didn't have to cook for a week because of all the food they sent.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think its great, i so admire the spirit of the black race.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• This is true usually. I prefer a more conservative style of worship, myself. (no clapping,shouting or banging drums and such in the sanctuary) If I wanted to hear that kind of noise I'd hang out in night clubs.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The only churches I have attended that are quiet except the pastor is the Presbyterian, the catholic and the baptist. this was a long time ago so things may have changed. I attend a diverse church that is different every sat night and people are laughing or crying or shaking or other manifestations that are transforming their lives from glory to glory. It is very up beat but we do have our quiet times too.. all lead by Holy Spirit
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have noticed this. But never thought about it.
    LizzieAnnesMom

Answer by LizzieAnnesMom at 8:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011