Ultrasound measurements?

When theylook at the baby on ultrasound and tell you how big the baby is measuring, is that measuing from last period or what? This stuff confuses me. I thought I was further along but I was off by a week. Which scares me because to me that means that the baby isn't the size it should be. Scared........

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• yes by the U/s measurements they will change ur due date as well... it is normal sweetie... when i found out i was pregnant at first they thought i was 11 weeks come to find out i was only 9!
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 4:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• when they measure the baby, they measure it's size by the head and length of the body, arms, legs, etc. they do figure in the first day of your last period when doing an ultrasound to give a more "rounded off" estimate, and compare it to how big the baby is. they also look at the size of the placenta, your cervix, amniotic fluid, etc to make sure all that's okay. dont worry, being off by a week is not a big difference. due dates are always estimates and can be off by 2 weeks in either direction (early or late).
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• ultrasound measurements go by the actual size and growth of the baby and don't go by your period at all.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Everything is measured/figured by LMP unless people are charting they usually don't know the actual date they ovulated so medically they go by you last monthy period. U/S measurement as well add the two weeks into it.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• well according to my lmp im supposed to be 32 weeks and according to my u/s im 28 weeks, that means a whole month off, my measurements say im 29 weeks! So honestly im confused also, my first date was march 11th, my second date is april 15th so saying im going to have him between those dates lol! :) i kow that really doesnt help but know im in the same situation!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 4:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2011