Anybody share joint custody and moved to another state?

Did your ex allow the move and accept entire summer vacations as custody days? We are thinking of moving but I share 50/50 with an ex. I have our child all during the school week but obviously if we move two states away the arrangement would have to change. I haven't even discussed it with my ex but I'm afraid it'll end up in court.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• In Illinois, custody has nothing to do with visitation so while I have sole custody, I still had to petition the court to move even with EH permission.

I only moved 20 minutes further though so it didn't change visitation.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You probably will end up in court if he says no. I moved to another state with shared custody and we went to court. The judge gave me joint custody and he got visits twice a month until our son started school. By that time I had moved closer because the twice a month visits were hard (expense wise). I had to drive 8 hours one way on a Friday, then home another 8 hours, then back on Sunday. It was just easier to move back.

Answer by gemgem at 4:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If he says no you can fight it. If you are moving for work or you can prove the move will make the children's lives better the court will prob go for it
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Good Luck. If you already share 50/50 you will have to prove how moving the children away from their father is in THEIR BEST INTEREST! If BD agrees then great, if not you are in for an uphill battle...and be prepared to pay for all the travel costs since you will be the moving parent.
    Ascott727

Answer by Ascott727 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011