Breastfeeding moms

What is the longest you plan on breastfeeding your baby....or what is the longest you have ever breastfed your baby? I always let my boys wean themselves and it was usually around 14monthsor less, but i have a feeling my 8month old will want to nurse a little longer since he is still nursing 7 times a day.

team21

Asked by team21 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was forced to ween my oldest at 13mos because my body simply couldn't support him, me and my new baby that was due...
    My youngest boy nursed til 23months at which point I weened him.

The youngest is only a month old, so we will see...

But to be honest, I HATE nursing, I hated it with the first two, but this one is really SOOO much worse because my Fibromyalgia is worse with this one... So I don't know how long we'll go.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I nursed my dau for the 1st year of her life- & then just at night until she was about 2 y/o. She ended up weening herself when she got a cold & couldnt breathe thru her nose! She's 8 y/o now, and when she snuggles up to me, I still get sleepy. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My daughter is 3 years and nurses a few times a day. It's less than before since I'm 6 months pregnant. I believe in child led weaning and just letting nature take it's course. I know she's not weaning before I give birth so I'll be tandem nursing for a while. Whenever my kids are ready.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I weaned my DD at 10/11 months because she I was not producing enough for her. :0( I was working and not an efficient pumper so my demand supply became crap. She was not growing or gaining weight. I had the option to nurse and supplement but I chose not to. I kind of regret that choice. I believe my DD would have wanted to nurse MUCH longer.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• did it 3 years.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• 2.5 years the first time. 22 months and counting this time...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My 2 year old and 13 month old are still nursing.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Both my kids nursed for about a year. My son weaned himself off at a year. My daughter pretty much weaned herself - this was for daytime. But she still wanted to nurse at night for longer. I let her. But it happened that my milk went dry (cause I was only nursing at night) and she didn't really want the milk. As soon as she would latch on she was asleep (like less then a minute). It was all about the confort for her.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Till they wean. My first was 13 months and my second was 14 months(very close to 15 months).
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The World Health Organization suggest a MINIMUM of 2 years. That has always been my goal! I only made it to 14 months with my first 2, but number 3 is still going strong at almost 19 months!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011