Have you heard of this?

My boys Dentist told me that BF past 9months puts our kids at a higher risk of developing caveties. This is new news to me. I guess it is because of the night time nursing. I nursed my boys until about 14months. I have a son now who is 8months and i dont want to stop nursing him now, its not like formula is any better for the teeth.....is it me, i just dont get it.

team21

Asked by team21 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Kids' Health

• what ever i wouldnt listen to that and just keep bf. everybody has their own opinons. so did he happen to give you another option? if your not bf then are you supposed to give him formula or go to regular milk? like i said i wouldnt think any thing of it. thats the thing with doctors sometimes you have to take some advice and leave the rest.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Maybe he meant that your BF has bad teeth & they may inherit that from him. Or did he see you BF w/ a Mt. Dew or something? Your nursing has nothing to do with it.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• To put it nicely thast is BS. You need to see a different dentist
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• my youngest had some dental problems I didn't breast feed him my oldest boy I did and he has always had good teeth and they are 20 & 22
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i was a formula feeder but i dont believe that formula or breastmilk is going to cause cavities. both are fed at nighttime if baby is still waking up and most babies still are for many months.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Completely wrong. Breastmilk has antibacterial benefits, so breastmilk on the teeth is perfectly fine. Formula, regular milk, or juice on the teeth does promote cavities.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• that's balonie... yes it could happen but it could also happen with a bottle to.. i know... my poor baby lost his 4 front teeth do to that and that kills me everyday... it's the sugar is what it is but i never heard of that before.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 4:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Phbbbbbtttttt!!!! What a wanker! If he'd said that to me I would have rolled my eyes and said, "Stop it!" in the most sarcastic tone I could muster.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• has this dentist been trained/formal education in breastfeeding? Unless he can produce some education behind his belief, than i would laugh him off. My pediatric dentist informed me that cavities are due to poor dental hygeine, but also genes. My son was bf for 3 years, and no cavities. The "sugar" in breastmilk, is not the same kind of sugar you would find in juice or formula, and someone educated in bf would know that. Have your dentist speak with me, i'll educate that poor man. As my lacation consultant told me before i became a bf advocate/educator, if you have a concern, either 1) brush your baby's teeth before bed, even after nursing, or 2) wipe a warm wet cloth over your babies teeth/gums after bf (she recommended this for younger babies since it could be more pleasant for them).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 4:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think he is wrong

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2011