I got $7560 in unemployment with no taxes taken out. My employer aslo did not take taxes out. I haven't got that 1099 yet so I don't know the number. What is the likelyhood that my employment 1099 will give me credit to get a refund? I'm still under the poverty line in the state of GA. As of right now, just unemploment is not giving me anything back.

peachyham

Asked by peachyham at 4:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• You OWE taxes when you get UE, and when you work. If you had NO TAXES taken out, you're going to owe them. I don't know your income level, or if you'll qualify for the EIC, etc. You'll either get a SMALLER refund, or OWE.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You are most likely not getting a refund, or a small one
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• This is the site that we use to estimate our tax refund/amount owed.
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/?s=1

The other posters are right they do tax unemployment benefits. But hopefully with your income being so low, it won't matter since you'll qualify for other credits like child credit and the earned income credit.

You're employer should have taken out money for social security and medicare tax though. If not you are going to have a problem on your hands.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You probably should have been filing quarterly, with estimated tax payments.

You need to call the IRS asap: Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040
    Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 8:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My SO just did his taxes and unemployment is NOT earned income so they dont put it down as part of your income!
    extremecheer

Answer by extremecheer at 9:22 AM on Jan. 30, 2011