What are some ways to help take care of bad (that's putting it mildly) breath?

My SO has terrible breath and yes he does brush his teeth every morning but that is it.Would him not drinking any water have something to do with it or not and he NEVER flosses.Any suggestions?

Ananomys

Asked by Ananomys at 5:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I also have horrible breath.. these things work for me (unless I'm sick.. then there's no helping me!) Brushing after every meal, FLOSSING is HUGE because food can get stuck between the teeth, scraping my tongue (you can get a tongue scraper at most any store), I brush the roof of my mouth and my cheeks and gums, and after I'm done brushing.. I put more toothpaste on my toothbrush and brush again (especially my tongue!). I use crest outlast they even have a mouthwash. I recently has oral surgery... a gingevectomy bc I had too much gum tissue that was creating a pocket for food to get stuck in (couldn't reach it with a toothbrush) the food was rotting and causing infections (super nasty I know!) Have him go to the dentist and have him tell the dentist about the breath and see if there is anything physically causing the bad breath or if he just needs to do a better job with oral hygiene
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• He should brush his tongue too. You can see a lot of helpful info if you Google it. We have the same problem here.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Does he go to the dentist? It could be a dental issue that needs a dentist's care.
    Anonymous

• No,who knows when the last time he has been to the dentist,probably when he was a kid.
    Ananomys

Comment by Ananomys (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Does he have a lot of post nasal drip? That could be a cause. What about yeast overgrowth? Does he ever complain of a film or a coating on his tongue?
    Anonymous

• No on all of those questions.Maybe I will have to have him stick out his tongue when he gets home to see what it looks like. :) JK
    Ananomys

Comment by Ananomys (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• He needs to floss!!! My teeth are really close together and when I forget or don't have time to floss, sometimes my breath gets bad - I know because my son never hesitates to tell me!!

Really, flossing is so important. He probably has bad breath from plaque & bacteria trapped between his teeth.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• PP is right. He has to floss. Then use Listerine or other mouthwash twice a day.
    surfngirl

Answer by surfngirl at 11:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011