Cutting a pups nails?

I use to cut our dogs nails, until one time I went a little to far up. I had syptic powder, and was able to get the bleeding stopped. It wasn't bad at all. Now, I have 2 pups and I'm scared to death to cut their nails! The one has black nails, the other one has a mix of black and white.

I saw a nail clipper at Petsmart that is suppose to detect the vein and tell you where it's safe to cut. Has anyone used one of these? What was your experience with it? If not, any advice on cutting their nails? They need done badly, and I'm being a big chicken.

Thank You!!

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Pets

• Yes, I never shop at Petsmart or Petco either because they do carry terrible products.

We use a cordless dremel tool to file all of our dogs' nails. It is quite fast and easy, but you do need to get them used to the dremel which is best done when they are puppies. With this dremel you can just touch it to each nail and it will take that sharp little tip right off, no need to go much further than that, although realistically, you could go a little bit more before having a bleeding problem. It is a little intimidating to use at first for most pet owners, but once you use it a couple of times it will be a breeze.

Pedipaws is essentially a dremel with a cover, leaving a hole for the nail. I have never used one, but I know people who happily use that tool too. I am not sure what happens when the dremel tip wears down though. At some point, you will need to replace the tip on any dremel tool.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:29 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I have never heard of that! With puppies you really only need to nip the pointed tip. If you only clip off the sharp end you should be fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree with But_Mommie and if you maintain these trims regularly you should never have to clip more than just the tip.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 5:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• File
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 5:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• DON"T get the clippers from petsmart.
    I am terrified of cutting the quick on my dog's nails as well. So, we bought those clippers. They didn't work properly at all. I ended up cutting the quick on my shepherd's nails. We took them back and told them what happened. Most stuff I have purchased from PetSmart has ended up being shit.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 7:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I'd go with a file. Not the pedipaws or whatever. Just pick up a paw while you watch TV or something and file. It doesn't all get done at once, but it is low-stress and you cannot quick them.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011