I miss being a sahm

I have only been at my new job for barely 1 month after being a sahm for almost 3 years. We needed extra money and were really struggling with bills. I found a job with the perfect schedule, 5 hour shifts at night (7pm to midnight) and weekends off. I can be supermom and super homemaker all day then go to work and make some money. But I'll be honest, i'm so exhausted physically and mentally upon arriving at work. I arrive feeling spaced out and have made a few honest mistakes at work because of that. DS is almost 3 and going through such a wild phase. He has been in time out a few times today for knocking over a houseplant after i told him not to, I cleaned the living room and he turned over his toy box (didnt play with anything from that toy box)....doesnt sound like much but I feel like a broken record lately. After all of this I have to work tonight for 5 hours. I know it could be worse, and 5 hours isnt so bad. It's a high volume job, but usually once i'm in the groove the hours fly by, and the paycheck has helped us. But I miss the times when SO came home from work and we could spend the entire night together as a family and SO could be the other parent ds has been lacking all day. I dont really have a question, just needed to vent. SO told me not to get a job just for the money and at first it wasnt just about the money, I was getting bored with the same routine all day and was starting to get lazy with the housework. But I miss having all the time in the world :(

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 5:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Is it only temporary though? Have a plan to pay off debt and save some money that way you can get back to being a SAHM as soon as possible. Also make sure you aren't wasting any money that comes into your home. Have a written budget if you don't already.

Things will get better. Just remember that it's only temporary.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• we havent been spending the extra money as if thats why I have the job! We actually paid rent on time this month, first time in a long time. I am starting to pay off debt, we have money for groceries, gas, it's been nice. SO did tell me at the beginning not to get a job just for money reasons and that's what it kinda seems like lately. But I will suck it up a little longer. It has afterall only been 1 month, barely. I just wish the people I work with would give me a chance. I flash them a friendly smile and say hello when i get to my area but they usually ignore me. I know they heard me. The other day I said hello to someone and all he told me was to work on something different because it was thursdays freight and we need to get that done first. I felt so awkward. He couldnt have at least said "hey" first?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• When I worked I was just as you explained and I was working fulltime and DD was in daycare fulltime. It is hard when you need the extra money to help the family and are not able to be where your heart wants to be all the time.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• why dont you work at home? There are tons of options, I mean JOBS not business, check it out HOMECAREERSUCCESS.COM
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Maybe you need to give it more time.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I know how you feel! I was a sahm for 6 years, just started a job last week, it's different hours than yours but also about 5 hours a day (2.5-3 in the early morning, 2-2.5 in the late afternoon), and I am exhausted. I did figure out that upping my protein & iron intake helped me physically feel better, and getting back on a good multivitamin would be wise too but I can't ATM. Is your son getting up earlier than you're ready to, that you're not well-rested? Were you mentally prepared for the changes? He (your son) feels your stress too and acts out because he knows something's different. I do agree that giving it time is key, and if you have to rearrange a few things in your personal schedule (what time DS goes to bed at night, nap times, meal times, etc) that should help too. ~hugs~
    Anonymous