Problems with pumping

I don't pump very often, but when I do, I don't get a whole lot at once. Sometimes only an ounce or two. I don't think I have a problem with my supply. My son is a healthy 13 pounds at 7 weeks. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

jasper311

Asked by jasper311 at 5:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The same thing happened to me,I just had a really hard time getting a good amount when I pumped. I tried to pump when I was really full and that helped a little.... usually like first thing in the morning if baby didn't need me.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Oh yeah I forgot to add, your probably not doing anything wrong.
    Namaste17

• Some people don;t pump well. This is NO indication of how much you are producing. As long as your son is meet diaper goals and is gaining some weight your supply is fine! Remember it is supply and demand if you supplement if will hurt your supply.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Any ideas on how I can get a better pump session?
    jasper311

Comment by jasper311 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• That's how much the average woman pumps in one session. To maximize output you can pump during the first feeding of the morning while baby nurses from the other breast... but 1-2oz is a very normal amount to pump. Remember, baby only need an oz per hour of separation... so if you need to leave him for 3 hours, you only need to leave 3 oz.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Some women, no matter how good their supply is and how much their baby gets from the tap, just cannot pump. I was hardly able to pump much. A pump just isn't as effective as baby's mouth. I was able to hand-express more milk than I was able to pump!
    Anonymous

• 1. pumping is not and indicator of supply
    2. ,5-2oz between both breast is normal output
    3. a baby is more efficient then the pump

piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• the only way to increase pump ouput is too pump more often, but if you only need to pump once in a while is not necessary. like pp said babies need 1.oz of bm every hr.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• some women just cant pump that much :) when my ds was 5mo i cuould get about 5oz a time now i get maybe 1oz lol
    SimplyErathy

Answer by SimplyErathy at 9:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2011