at this point i dont know who to call?!

i turned in our rent check on January 3rd. here it is the 18th and it STILL has not cleared. i called the rental office about a week ago to verify that they got the check (my husband slipped it in the rent drop on the 3rd) and they said yes, they got the check. it never takes this long! its very irritating because it looks like we have all this money in our account when we infact don't, so im trying to be extra careful with what we spend so we don't go over the check amount and overdraw incase the check magically clears. money is very tight right now. should i give the bank a call to find out what's going on, or is this likely an error on the landlord's part? i would think if they sent the check like they are supposed to it would have long been cleared.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• I hear ya girlie. I wrote a check to my daughter's school for her yearbook back in November and it still hasn't cleared yet.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• When you write a check & deduct it from the acct. it's gone- Think of it as spent already regardless of what the balance says. Go by the balance in your checkbook.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I'd call the landlord first and just tell them it's not showing up. My landlord found mine on the top of the refrigerator one time and forgot to deposit it.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• yea just go by your check book some times they just dont deposit everything at once and with all the holiday stuff thier proubly just behind
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would call and speak with someone other than the person in the office, they have a boss too.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Yikes! I hate it when checks don't clear right away. But you do need to start keeping a check book register instead of relying on your bank statements. That way you don't bounce any checks.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree though, when you write a check and subtract it it is gone no matter how long it takes to clear. To do otherwise would be foolish.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 7:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i check my balances online and although i know once the check clears that money will be gone but as it stands technically the money is there and can accidentally be spent if my husband or i are not careful.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2011