What should I do about a constipated three month old?

My son hasn't pooped since Wednesday and its now Monday. He is breastfeed with a bottle of formula every now and then. He doesn't seem in pain but he has been spitting up after eating (which is unlike him) and he has had plenty of wet diapers. It has been really hot and humid lately but I've made sure I have been feeding him every 2-3 hours during the day. Advice needed.

sweetiet

Asked by sweetiet at 2:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Health

• I had issues like that with my twins on & off. Try adding sugar to water....that helps. Or call the doc and see what they say....my doc basically analyzed the situation & told me it wasn't as bad as I though and to just let it run its course.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I would give him 4-6oz of apple or prune juice. That should do the trick. I would even say cut the juice in half with water instead of giving it full strength.
    shoefreak

Answer by shoefreak at 3:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• He's awfully young for prune juice. I'd use a glycerin suppository. Use a knife to slice it length-wise (to make it skinnier), and rub it with your clean hands to make the edges smooth.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 3:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• about a half of teaspoon of kayro syrup will do the trick maybe not even that much if you have a really little one, and massageing the tummy to help loosen up the tightness in the tummy.
    REDD77

Answer by REDD77 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I was also told kayro syrup and they said to mix it in with water. Be careful because when my son finally went, he exploded, all over me and the bed, TWICE! Ahh it was such a mess but it worked haha.
    ProudMommy1231

Answer by ProudMommy1231 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I was told by the Dr's that this is normal, and if they are wetting their diapers regularly, there is no reason to worry. Sometimes, my baby would go 4 or 5 days between when she was younger... I wouldn;t do any of those home remedies like prune juice, or sugar water, he is too young.
    Something that I did hear a friends does that works for her every time is when she checks her son's temperature with a thermometer rectally, he ALWAYS poops as soon as she does.
    TinaBeena1216

Answer by TinaBeena1216 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• This is completely normal for a child his age, especially that is breastfed. Just let him go when he goes and he'll be fine. If when he DOES poop it comes out in pellets (a sign he was ACTUALLY constipated) then you can talk to the doctor about a way to relieve that.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I add a little bit of prune juice to each bottle. Not enough to taste but just enough that it will produce results in a day or so
    DorothyOpp

Answer by DorothyOpp at 9:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My daughter has had problems w/ constipation since birth. 1st her dr told me to put up to 2 tablespoons of brown sugar in 4oz bottle. Kind of worked. Then they told me to start giving her apple or pear juice. Our hospital dr's and her dr told me NO PRUNE juice as it will actually make it worse. At 6 months old, she tore her butthole 2 places trying to poop and dr put her on a laxative that she's supposed to take 1 tsp 3x a day. Still wasn't working. So I've quit listening to her dr's specific directions. She gets her laxative twice a day and I alternate between the brown sugar, apple and pear juice in her bottles. She is going like a normal baby now. You should dilute it at least 4 ounces of water per 1 oz of juice. Be careful if you are using regular juice instead of baby juice. All the chemicals could damage the system of a baby that young.
    Angelie04

Answer by Angelie04 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• pure juice or pear juice
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2008