What should we get number three son for his first year of teaching?

Number three son is going to get his masters in history in june....he wants to teach high school history...

dragonflylane

Asked by dragonflylane at 1:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• My first thought is a nice laptop. Being up to speed with his students would be great advantage. I also thought about a Kendall ebook reader. Much history is in written form & that would give him almost instant access to any text he wanted. For his classroom, a big gobe - history is also geography :) Or a nice globe bar for his home? I also think he would appreciate a beautiful custom frame for his degree. He must understand what a daunting task getting high school students to want to pay attention to history class lies ahead - kudos to him for providing such a necessary lesson to our future! Final thought - Indiana Jones leather hat. My hubby loves his "going out" hat - it puts a sparkle in his eye to feel like such a rouge. Congrats to you all for a son well raised :) GG
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 7:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I would say a really nice brief case to carry all the students work and lessons. Teachers need to be organized as well! This would be very helpful!
    ljlM

Answer by ljlM at 1:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• for a history teacher? how about a book on historic wars. they never have enough detail in school books about the important ones like WW2.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 2:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• As the husband of a teacher and friends of many teachers, gift cards so they can spruce up their room is SO important. I don't know how much you want to spend, either, but having something personal/homelike is important. I know many family members bought small refrigerators for their loves ones, so they could have a place for food/drinks. Coffee makers are also WONDERFUL gifts, as well as some coffee mugs and coffee supplies. You know your son, so is he a tea drinker/coffee drinker? Would he like a fan or a heater? A really comfortable NICE computer chair instead of the budget approved school ones is awesome. Yay for your son :)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I agree with Knoxville Doula. My cousin teaches and she spends so much of her own money on necessities for her classroom. Never mind all the little extras. Definately a gift card to a teacher's supply house or even a membership to a local museum (art, historical, etc) where he can do a "field trip" with his classes.

kate3937

Answer by kate3937 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• A very large bottle of EXCEDRIN! I am a teacher( ENGLISH HS) and he will need it. The best gift is a large journal where he can write down all his feelings each day when he comes home. I love teaching but not all the kids love learning! The best he can do is the best he can do. I always teach to those that are intersted first and then devise ways to reach the others. Remind him, please, to be Culturally Accepting and Appreciating..by this I mean that he MUST take ALL cultures in his class as important and treat them each with respect. Give him a book on different Cultures so he will not be ignorant of them. I have seen so many teachers will no clue outside their own zones. God Bless him! ( Prayers are also a Great thing)
    wakenda

Answer by wakenda at 2:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• As a teacher myself (almost 30 years) my recommendation would be lots of Kleenex, Airborne, pain medicine of choice, cold medicine of choice, a mug for coffee or tea, a bottle for water (keep hydrated), and hand sanitizer. First year teachers come down with everything their students come to school with. Just like a small child needs to build immunities, so does a first year teacher. So stock the medicine chest, remember vitamins. Maybe also help stock his pantry / freezer with healthy food (IE chicken soup) or pre-made meals because first year teachers are so busy learning the school district ropes, and coping with classroom work, that making healthy meals is often secondary. I love the enthusiasm of beginning teachers even if your first year is actually more like an apprenticeship - as hard as that is for first year teachers to hear.   It is as much a learning experience as it is a matter of teaching. All my best to him!
    DLJE

Answer by DLJE at 11:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2008