How would you deal w/ your 15 yo son calling your 13 yo daughter a b*tch at the bus stop?

Ascott727

Asked by Ascott727 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh boy...mine would have wished he hadnt said that. Better let his world fall down around him and teach him that women...especially his sister deserve more respect than that. Fights are one thing....brothers/sisters will fight...but there is a line you just do not cross...and that is it!

If you dont teach him this, he may end up calling his wife that and thinking its ok.

If it were my son, I'd probably do a little embarrassment education tactic.....walk him into school every day for a week holding his hand....in front of friends...

When he can speak like a proper adult, he will get treated like one. till then he is treated like a baby that cant control his tongue.
    Anonymous

• It would depend on why he called her that, for me. If it was just them picking on each other in a normal sibling kind of way, I probably wouldn't think much of it unless it really hurt her feelings. If that was the case, I would probably sit him down and tell him that I know he may use profanity and the like, but name calling can still be hurtful and he needs to be more respectful of his sister, even if they don't get along all the time or like each other all the time. If he kept doing it, I would start taking away privileges. If he did it because she did something to him, I wouldn't punish him at all for it, but she might get in trouble (again, depending on exact circumstances). If he just did it out of the blue for no reason, then we would have the respect conversation and if it persisted, he would lose privileges. I'm not really strict about profanity usage, though, just so long as it doesn't get too out of hand.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• These 2 FIGHT and ARGUE all of the time. It is huge problem. They seem to hate each other, we don ot have these problems with the other 4 kids, or even these 2 and the other kids...Just the 2 that got into it today.
    He called her that because she took her Ipod to school w/ permission and he didn't know she had permission.
    Ascott727

Comment by Ascott727 (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• A sit down meeting is in order with your husband and you with the kids. Some rules needs to be set on what is not allowed.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• That would be a huge punishment in my house. The constant fighting, I deal with military style, and it doesn't last long. My kids get a huge list of chores I appropriately named "the fight list". Everytime it goes beyond an argument like if it gets physical or there is name calling, fight list. If they fight while doing that, more chores.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I keep instilling in my kids that eventually when mom and dad are gone they will only have each other and if they don't get along they will end up not having any relationship when they are adults. They do have typical teenage arguments but I make sure they always make up. It is working!!!!
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:05 AM on Jan. 20, 2011