Would you do whatever your doctor asked

Just because he is medically educated?

ColleenF30

Asked by ColleenF30 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Health

• I think you should always follow your instincts. You should be able to trust your doctor to make the best decisions possible for you, but they are human... Just because they are doctors does not mean they can't make mistakes. If you don't understand or disagree with something your doc advised... TALK TO HIM/HER. If they're unwilling to talk to you, find a new doctor.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Nope. I will listen to his opinion since he is an educated professional, but I make my own decisions on what I will or will not do.

I did not take prenatal vitamins.
    I took medication to keep me out of labor (I went preterm at 33 1/2 weeks) but I stopped taking it at 36 weeks even though he wanted me to go on to 40. I felt that the medicine was not good for my body or baby.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I was wondering cause my first husband listend to his doc no matter what, and when he went into a hospital in 2006 with a kidney stone at age 36 he came back out for his funeral. Since that day I question all docs tell me.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Absolutely not! I've had medical professional be wrong and screw me over lots of times. You should always ask your doc lots of questions and if you don't agree with them get a second opinion or a new doc. I think MOST people know their own bodies.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• HAHA. NO!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Most doctors only see you for like ten minutes top. They dont ask you a lot to help out with whats wrong with you. I always listen to my doctors opinion but I only ever go to the doctors in an emergency or if I dont know what to do/its serious.

Most things you can treat yourself or rest and wait it out. I think you ultimately know best. You know your history and wehen it comes to your child you can tell when he is acting out of sorts and needs medical advice or whether hes just a bit ill.

So yes I listen but I guess thats only because I dont go see a doctor unless its absolutely necessary which most of the time it isnt.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Absolutely not. They don't know squat compared to me.
    Anonymous

• Well anon 2:07 glad to know you are such a genius as compared to someone who spends 6 yrs of their life studying medicine. Maybe you should put out your shingle and you can cure us all!
    Anonymous

• "Most things you can treat yourself or rest and wait it out."

you better hope you never get cancer then. or get in a car accident. or break your leg. or have a heart attack or a stroke
    Anonymous

• I mostly do what they say. If it doesn't make sense to me, I ask a lot of questions until it does. I realize it pushes back their schedules, but I had to wait forever for three minutes, so the next person can wait, too.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2008