Lunches with older client.

Do you think it is ok for your husband to go to lunch with an older
client he has known for 20 years. I am not jealous but I don't think it is
necessary to have lunch after a meeting. She is much older. He is
afraid she will get mad if he does not go. He should care if I get mad
if he does go. I cannot get through to him that she should not have
such control of him .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• Really, It depends on his business and his status within the business. My husband can easily forgeo some 'lunches' because of his job title and what hew does. However, it has taken years to get there. There are still 2 lunch 'requesters' that he can reschedule within reason..but blowing them off isn't an option. Business lunches are just another part of true business. Now if he works in some place like...say.. Kinkos and he isn't a manager/supervisor and they have a staff meeting and then this person asks only him out to lunch and they don't discuss business..that's a whole other ball of yarn.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Why would you be upset if he goes to lunch with someone he has known for 20 years?? Insecure much?? It's lunch, not a weekend at the hotel...
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Actually by the tone of this question your the one that sounds controlling. he's known her for years she's a client and they are probably friends also. So they have lunch together big deal.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Sometimes going to lunch with a client is expected. My husband and I both go to lunch with clients from time to time. My husband lunches at least monthly with one woman. I will be having lunch with four men later this week.  If it's normal for your husband's job, then it really doesn't make any sense for you to ask him to stop.  If he blows off this client, then she might no longer be a client.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• ?? Do you have an issue in your marriage??? I see no reason in the world to monitor your husbands work... you sound VERY insecure in your marriage.

My husband is an attny and I can tell you that many many many business relationships are built and/or made more solid over a casual lunch, dinner, and even on the golf course. Just because the meeting is over doesnt mean that business associates cant go to lunch together. Part of having a solid business relationship is knowing and trusting the person you work with. I think it is good business habits to do things like lunch.

ease up... your making women look bad.

Anonymous

• Sometimes doing lunch after a meeting is just good business etiquette. You never know what other kind of valuable information you can glean from clients. And sometimes when people take that little extra time clients may want to do even more business with the company.

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 7:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have an older client that I go to lunch with occasionally. It has brought me new business so it is a good situation. I'd probably try to stop if my DH was really upset about it.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• he has known this woman for 20 years. If something was to happen, it would've happend a long time ago. Stop trying to get him to see where he's wrong and look at yourself.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:48 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• There is no reason to be so nasty. I was only asking a question. Try to be helpful like the others.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Jan. 19, 2011