IUD's?

At my six week checkup I wanted to get an IUD, but my doctor talked me out it. She said I would have a menstrual period that would last 10 days out of the month. I am now going back to the doctor because the birth control pills she put me on are terrible. I always thought IUD's were supposed to be the best. Any advice would be great!

rpetullo

Asked by rpetullo at 6:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've never heard that. Which IUD were you planning to get? I know Paragard has a history of making periods longer and heavier. Have you thought about Mirena? I LOVE mine. I've never heard of an anti-IUD doctor (does she has religious beliefs against it?).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• God I wish my OB had talked ME out of an IUD! I had the freaking Mirena and it nearly killed me. It caused all kinds of problems, beginning with weight gain and the loss of my milk. She wouldn't even order the Paragard (which is hormone free), and went so far as to tell me it wasn't produced anymore (I knew that was a lie, but figured that it must be horrible for her to say such a thing). I never, ever recommend the Mirena to anyone. I've heard far too many horror stories including my own.

Pills have worked the best for me so far, but I have to have combination BC or none at all. Progestin only makes me nuts (found that out with the mini-pill, then the Mirena, then the shot, but I thought the Mirena issues and mini pill were post partum depression).

You're probably just going to have to try different things until you find something that works for you. It's frustrating, but that's the only way you'll find something, probably.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I like that I got both sides on this issue. I agree that the best way to find out what works for me is to try different things. You're right though it sucks! Thanks again.
    rpetullo

Comment by rpetullo (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I've never heard that either. I never had a single period while on the IUD.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have never heard that either...I have mirena and although it hasnt stopped my periods lilke it does for a lot of people they have significantly lightened and shortened a little. I do get some side effects from it and was almost to the point of getting it out when things finally calmed down with my hormones after having it for about 6 months...now I really like it...as long as the side effects dont come back anyway.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have a MIrena, thought they were considered IUD, only with low dose hormone. I LOVE it! My period is very light. I did hear the traditional copper ones cause increased flow.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Every woman has things that work different for her. Personally, I LOVE my Paraguard. It is always there for birth control so I don't have to worry about getting caught up in the moment because I will always be protected. I got mine in June of 2010. Have not had a period since. Each woman responds differently.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I 've had the Mirena IUD for 2and 1/2 years now. I haven't had a period since I got it. I wouldn't recomend it, when they put it in it hurts terrible after that it hurt to have sex for several months then I finally thought this might actually be a good thing then I quite breastfeeding and started getting pregnacy syptoms form it, weight gain, tiredness, nausea, food cravings and others. I actually plan on getting it removed this month, I will never get one again. One of my firends also has Mirena and she has told me she has been having simular problems
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I also have a Mirena and I have never had a period with it. It was inserted around Dec. 2008. I have occasional cramping, but that's the extent of it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Mine didn't make my peroids more painful. It did come out of place though and I still ended up pregnant.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011