does you rin-laws respect your parenting? or do they try to push their own beliefs on you?

SimplyErathy

Asked by SimplyErathy at 6:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son goes over to my husband's parents house twice a week while I go to school. They have been awesome about what hubby and I belive in. For example, there are certain meats that we choose for him not to eat because of our religon. When they cook these in their home they provide an alternative.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Neither MIL's or FIL's I had said much about my parenting skills except to want to spank my child that was my 1st MIL I told her as long as I was there at her house there was no need to feel like she needed to spank my child. My 2nd MIL the only thing she ever really said was how she would like our daughter baptised it didn't matter what religion just baptised. I don't feel the need to do so none of my kids ever have been. But I think overall all of my inlaws knew I was doing a great job or they knew how mouthy I was and would tell them what I thought 1 or the 2 LOL!

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My in laws and parents have been REALLY good about respecting our parenting style. They've upheld the way we discipline our son, although, of course, they all spoil him more than we do.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My dhs parents arent religious so that has never been an issue. Parenting styles, definitely different then mine here. They think they can spank my kids knowing I dont spank my kids. Thats been an issue in the past but I think now after being in their lives since 2003 they finally get I wont take any BS. My kids. My rules. They dont like it? They dont have to have the kids without me there. Once they accepted that, its been great.
    My former inlaws, well they really did not care much about their grandkids. Hardly visited. Didnt care much. So, if I had to choose I would rather have inlaws who bug me sometimes then ones too selfish to care.

Answer by gemgem at 6:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I get a lil bit of both....My mother is the one who want to be in charge..but my mother in law respect my parentin %100..(well there is the occational spoiling...but hey its grandma,it hapends)...But at the end of the day you are the parent...so your desicions should be respected.
    lcardenas51989

Answer by lcardenas51989 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My in-laws are pretty good about everything as long as they know our preference. At first, they fought with us a bit, but I laid it out that they had to respect my/SO's rules since he was our son. I wanted them to understand that they weren't the parent in this situation and, while I valued their input and often times used it, it wasn't the only answer and they had to respect that I was his mom and got to make the final call.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The only thing my mother in law does is force things she did with my husband and siblings she wants me to do the same things.. like my baby just started eating solid foods and she has been all about pushing the sweet potatoes on her because HER kids lOved sweet potatoes I guess small things like that get to me! I know they shouldn't be they do. For another example she will say" I have special sheets on the crib in the spare room so in case you wanna take her diaper off and let her hang out naked in the crib she can, and she won't soild the sheets" " My kids loved to be naked!" I let my baby be naked after a bath At home..I let her be in just her diaper.. I just can't stand that she suggests it just because THATS what she did with her kids.. Its like back off.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 7:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Mine do a pretty good job of being respectful of my point of view. I LOVE my MIL and feel lucky to have her:)
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• They can do whatever they want...my kids, my rules. I won't be disrespectful if they aren't but I will do as I see fit.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:24 AM on Jan. 19, 2011