how diffrent do you think socitity would be if it was the norm to breastfeed and cloth diaper, so where people always freak out at the first sign of a side boob, they would instead go "omg its a can of formula" O_O ect

yes i edited it to better my wording lol

SimplyErathy

Asked by SimplyErathy at 6:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it would be one screwed up socitity if someone was considered an outcast because of things so petty.....I would move to another country if that is how things got here....and there are plenty of moms who already feel that way....sounds like you are one of them
    Anonymous

• Not sure that any of those things really have that much of an influence to change society to begin with.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think that would be called a DICTATORSHIP and I would move.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Sounds like China- telling you when you can conceive & only allowing one child per couple! Doesnt sound like a free country to me. (And if this ques. is based off the latest report that was just in the paper that says boys benefit academically from breast feeding- I'd like to know what they'd think of my Straight A son who was formula fed- and then my Straight A dau who was breast fed.)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• no im not one of them lol as long as baby is being fed..properly (not cows milk at 1month ect) its all good, i do think some moms give up a little too easy or just dont have the right info, but all in all no i dont think that way, my dd was formula fed, my ds is breastfed, why? i had more info and support with my ds
    SimplyErathy

Comment by SimplyErathy (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I don't think she means "outcast" the way you're thinking, so much as she's comparing how people seem to view breastfeeding now with how they WOULD view formula feeding in a society that mostly breastfed. Like in the US, if a woman starts BF in public and someone happens to notice, some people freak out over that and are disgusted, etc., so it would be a similar reaction to a FF in a different society.

To the question: I think that babies, at least, would be more comfortable, and the environment would probably be in slightly better shape. Fewer disposables and formula cans in the landfills would probably help at least a little. Those diapers take forever to break up and stuff. Plus, cloth is so soft and cushy, and breastfeeding helps with antibodies and all kinds of things. Maybe there would be less illness and pollution, etc., so things like that would be better, but probably not society in general.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• OP, I get what you're saying, it's just that you're going to offend some people with your wording (using "outcast" was probably not the best choice!). It would be great if breastfeeding were the norm so that more women would be inclined to do it and stick with it, but I don't think anyone should be made to feel like a societal outcast because they didn't :-)

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The formula feeding people would be posting the question and reversing it.
    bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 6:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• It use to be this way. When I was debating on breastfeeding, my mom told me that when she was pregnant with my sister, my gma was shocked that my mom chose the BF. It just wasn't the normal thing to do....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think it would be GREAT if breastfeeding was the norm in this country. BFing moms are treated like trash in many places because they are simply feeding their babies.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2011