How do you get tantrums to stop?

My son is almost 5 and has frequent & nasty tantrums. By nasty I mean he calls names, screams at the top of his lungs, hits, kicks, etc. (luckily no biting). He has them over some of the most tiny things. For example: earlier today I told him he had to wait 5 more minutes for one of his friends to play & he screamed at me n stomped off to his room. Then a couple hours later I told him (with many warnings) that it was time for him to stop playing his video game so his siser could watch a movie. He started screaming at me & I told him to go to his room when he didn't I went to pick him up to put him in his room n he started kicking & hitting me. I'm so tired of this & don't know what else to do. If anyone has some suggestions they would be appreciated.

webenste

Asked by webenste at 6:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• WALK AWAY... give it absolutely NO ATTENTION
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• They say ignore it but my parents would have whipped me for acting like that. I would give him one warning and if he does not mind I would put him in time out. If time outs don't work I would take his games away from him and any thing else he likes. My children whine I put them in time out. They don't whine very much anymore. My two year old whines and has a tantrum I put him in time out and ignore him aswell as the 3 yr old. They must learn what is acceptable behavior and what is not. In life we have consequences for our actions. They will learn as long as you are consistent. Good luck
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I could have not said it better. I agree with 1911. They do learn real quick. I have a 3 year old and she lost all her new toys from Santa for one whole day. The next day she said, mommy I will never do that again. I felt so bad but she had to learn. I can deal with this know or later on when she is bigger which is even harder. Do what you mean. Stay strong that is what I tell myself. "HUGS"
    Anonymous

• I don't have any sage words of wisdom....(it seems like for some kids time outs just don't quite cut it). I can tell you that you're not alone! My son is going through similar issues....we do time outs, loss of toys and privelages, big hugs and deep breaths, a magnet system for good behavior..... but it seems like he always reverts back to not being able to control himself when facing disappointment....
    I'm actually in tears right now because apparently he had a particularly bad day at school yesterday, and I have to meet with his teacher and prinipal in about an hour. eek!
    spiritedmum

Answer by spiritedmum at 11:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2011