is it unsanitary?

is it unsanitary to put cracked, empty eggshells back into a carton with unused eggs? for instance, you're making a cake and have all the ingredients out, the egg carton open, you crack two eggs into the mix and then put the shells back into the space they were in? then put the whole carton in the fridge, empty shells included? im just curious. my mother in law said salmonella can spread this way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Food & Drink

• my mom did it all of the time how are germs going to get in side of a whole shelled egg plus your going to cook them right so what is the big deal??
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Why wouldn't you just throw them away?
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would and do throw them away, they could have salmonella, why take the chance.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 6:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• it doesnt even sound like it would be very healthy, i dont know why you wouldnt throw away the empty egg shells, just because!
    shannonrenee09

Answer by shannonrenee09 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I do it. It's not like the uncracked eggs are going to soak up the whites/yolks of the cracked eggs and make you sick. Especially since salmonella is on the eggshell anyways if the egg does have it.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• KHF said exactly what I was going to say.

Seriously, how hard it is to drop them down the disposal or in the garbage can?
    Anonymous

• I throw mine away
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I do that all the time. Been doing it all my adult life. No health problems here fron it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My mom used to do that. I'm not exactly sure if it can spread things, but I'm sure it's possible.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I do it all the time.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011