How did you get your 3 year old to play by himself?

I love playing with my 3 year old son but he needs play by himself sometimes. Any suggestions?

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I will start playing with him and then say "I'll be right back, you keep playing." and quietly leave. He usually dosen't notice when I've been gone for 30 minuets.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 7:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Mine has always like to play by himself but you could try the 1st posters idea
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• do like the first person said, see if it works. my son has almost always been able to play by himself. i am a sahm, so to make sure i am able to cook and clean when i need to, he's gotta be able to. i have found having cartoons or a favorite movie on helps out to
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My child has been playing by herself since she was about 9 mos old. She is now 2 1/2 and will occasionally ask if Mommy can please have a turn. I am a WAHM and need to work, cook and clean and so I need her to play by herself. She does love it when she has friends over and I never see them b/c they stay hidden in her room playing. I do have to say that she spends alot of time playing at my feet at my desk.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011