Divorce & Bankruptcy

My divorce was just finalized, and the judge ordered me to be responsible for half of my ex's debt (mostly, credit cards). I'm disgusted because I entered the marriage with no debt, and left with no debt in my name. Anyhow, I'm looking at up to $30,000, and I can't conceive how I'll be able to afford to pay this. My attorney suggested filing for bankruptcy. Does anyone have any advice or experience to share?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Did you help rack up the debt? If you did, help him pay if not bankruptcy will stay on your credit for a long time.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You are responsable for half the debt because you were married to him... personally I would probably be vindictive and file bankruptcy as a single person and let him KEEP his debt and pay for his own... however, you could ask him if he pays half he can file jointly??? Otherwise, technically he can file and you be stuck with all
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• When we first found out we were pregnant my husband and I were scammed into buying a house through a mortgage company that was scamming 8 other people at the same time. Pretty much they took loans out in our names, took the money, and ran. They used aliases on all of the paper work so nothing could directly be tied to them. We were told the FBI was looking into it but thats been over 3 years ago. We really had no other choice BUT to file for bankruptcy for the 80K we were in the hole for.
    Anonymous

• Or you can tell him what you can pay a month (whether its $25 or more) if the card aren't in your name it wont hurt your credit but if he files bankruptcy he can claim child support and it can freeze any payments that you are expecting.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• No, I wasn't even aware of the debt until well into our marriage. Most it was accumulated before we were married. He'd told me he'd paid it off. We'd been separated for over two years before the ruling, and he still has not provided ANY documentation to substantiate how much debt, let alone what it was used for.

I currently rent, and do not have a car payment, but likely will need to buy a *new* car in the next year or two. I have no credit cards, by choice, or any other loans/debt.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Well, technically, I still have my attorney fees to pay, but no other debt. All of this debt is in his name only.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If the debt was before the two of you got together your attorney should be able to get the records to prove that so you don't have to pay it back. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Yikes! That sounds like you didn't deserve that at all.

I don't think bankruptcy is going to work unless the debt is in your name. And from the sounds of it, it isn't. You just have to pay on it. You could take out a loan in your name to pay off the $30,000 (don't give the money to him, give it to the creditors) and then file for bankruptcy. But it is also illegal to go into debt when you know you can't pay it off.

Is there no way you can pay off the debt? Get on a budget? Sell some stuff? That just seems like such a bugger that they'd stick you with his debt.

So sorry you are going through this.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Can you get a bank loan to pay it off?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 19, 2011