Any teachers here know about DIBLES testing?

My son got his scores back....and I KNOW they are good...

I would just like to know how good...he is in 1st grade.

Scores were:

Phoneme Seg. Goal 50.....my son 63
Nonsense word fluency Goal 50....my son 142
Oral Reading Fluency Goal 20....my son 127

The teacher said he is a fantastic reader...but just thought I would ask if anyone on here had any more info...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in

• I am a teacher and have been trained on DIBELS and administered the test in the past. The district I am in now doesn't use that test (thank goodness)! As a reading specialist let me be the first to tell you that this assessment is garbage. Check out a book called The Truth About DIBELS and check out this conversation: http://teachers.net/mentors/buildingblocks/topic935/9.23.06.16.43.43.html

MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• BTW...I'm sorry I didn't actually answer your question...

Phoneme Segmentation tests the child's ability to hear sounds in words. So for example, the teacher says "cat" and the child has to say /c/ /a/ /t/. The number of correct sounds your child gets in one minute determines the score.

Nonsense Word Fluency tests the child's ability to read words that are not real words (because that's useful in real life) and however many your child can read in one minute determines the score.

Oral Reading Fluency tests the child's ability to read without error. They are given one minute to see how many words in a leveled passage that they can read.

As you can see, each student is only given 1 minute per section to perform...and it is stressful b/c they watch a timer that beeps after a min! So, I'm sure your child is a great reader and I can also tell he is good under pressure!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• THANK YOU! yes, I have heard people say the test is not very sound.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2011