How to deal with converting away from Islam?

I've been a muslim for 10 years now. I was raised christian. My parents didn't agree but that didn't matter to me. I can barely remember the reasons for converting to islam now. It was more that the people seemed so nice and the life seemed so structured. Not that I didn't understand it, I studied so hard into it. I got committed, I prayed, everything. I married a lovely man who was a muslim all his life and we were happy, we divorced 2 years ago due to him having to move away to look after family and not feeling committed enough. We have 2 daughters who are 6 and 7 and I've been raising them muslim for years. I've been feelings it's wrong for a long time now so I finally got the courage to read the bible again and try to get back to my roots. I want to become a christian again but all my friends are muslim and everyone we know is muslim. They're not extreme, they're lovely people but deviating from their path of life will upset them and I think they'll constantly try and get me back to the 'right path' in their view. How do I handle this being nice to them? I've told my parents who are very happy but in regard to even taking my hijab off during the day it's going to be hard, people will start to question me and I'm worried about people getting angry.

My ex-husband is okay with it, he knows I have to do what's right for me. He's not a strict muslim at all and says it's okay to raise to them however I want and need. How would you 'break this' to your friends? What can I do? Short of moving...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just tell them your plans and if they are true friends they will be their for you. Stop worrying about what others will think. Do what is right for you.

Answer by louise2 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Pray and ask God for guidance. Get to know your Bible like a best friend and then answer their questions with scriptures you have learned from the Bible. Always ask the Holy Spirit first to give you the answers, then answer what He tells you to say to them.
    Always show the love of God to them, but be firm about what you believe and why you believe it, then they should respect your faith as you have respected theirs.
    abc123115

Answer by abc123115 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• This is your life and no one has to live it but you. Put yourself and your children first and do what is best for you. With that said find a good church home and start making new friends.
    AquariusOne

Answer by AquariusOne at 8:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Oh hon, I wish I had an easy answer. I'm neither christian nor moslem, but jewish. I can only express what I feel. I live in a community that is very strict, and I'm not. I just found I had to find different friends, not that I didn't like these people, but i found that I had nothing in common with them. You may have to find new associates and friends. I think you will be surprised at the negativity you will face once they know the truth. Despite their moderateness, they will not accept a christian in their midst, especially one they think is deserting their beliefs. You need to do what is best for you and the children. It's great that your ex is not insisting you raise the kids in his faith. But don't be surprised at what happens once they know, and don't stay in a faith if you feel hypocritical about it. I'm surprised you say that they are not extreme if they expect you to wear a hijab, and they wear them too.
    cindyg19

Answer by cindyg19 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would suggest praying. I'm not saying that you should pray until you want to be Muslim again - you have made your decision and that is just fine! But I think that continuing to pray (whether in English or Arabic, to God or to Allah or even the Flying Spaghetti Monster) will help you to feel more comfortable in your decision and will empower you to find the right place and time to tell your friends - not to mention helping you to find the right words to say.

This is your decision, and if your friends are true friends they will back you up and support you 100%.
    Holly.

Answer by Holly. at 8:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I am Muslim, born and raised...I can tell you like this...Its your life and your salvation. No one has the right to tell you anything. If they are your real friends they will understand and be on your side. I know that when someone in ANY religious group "wants to turn away" its hard and they will try to get you back, but its a part of life. They cant do anything about it if you have already made up your mind. Its true, you need to pray and just really know that this is the decision that you want to make and stick with it. Good Luck!!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Ask God to help, He will move mountains for you, no matter what religion you choose.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• All I can offer is to suggest that you pray. As another woman stated, the Holy Spirit will guide you into what to say to them. No one can say for sure what their reaction would be. I know for me, if a friend or loved one chose to walk away from the Christian faith, I would just continue to show God's love to them by the way I treat them and love them the way He loves me. I would also keep them in prayer. I hope that your friends would offer the same to you. You need to follow what speaks truth to you. I will keep you in prayer and please feel free to message me if you have any questions or encouragement on your new journey. God Bless you sister :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I am proud of you!!! Just pray , God will show you.People are always going to have something to say, I am sure some of your friends probaly wont talk to you or not as much, but that's their lost. It will be a battle , but time heals everything. You will be the talk for a little while til something else happens,lol. Just dont worry about what people think, your salvation is important .
    Your life is going to change so just prepare for it , listen to some good musci & stay postive , you will do fine :)
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 21, 2011