How much worse would a natural birth be?

I had contractions 2 min apart and was in strong labor when i got to the hospital & my water had broken (i heard makes worse contractiosn) and i was in very little pain. they gave me my epidural shortly after i arrived. I am considering a natural birth this time how much worse do you think things get from the point i was at. He was born in 6 hrs with 3 pushes also.

PS I had a 9.95 lb baby who was 22 3/4 in they think they will induce me a week early this time if the baby is as big so i dont tear as bad and they do not hurt my baby so home birth prob out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Not going to lie but it hurts like a SOB. It's very hard to describe it, but by the time it's all over you don't remember any of the pain unless you tear,
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I had both my childern completely natural and drug free.. I hear ppl say all the time get an epidural get this that, my first i was in labor 12 hours 5 hard and pushed almost 2 hours my second 3 hours and pushed only 2 times. With the second though the contractions seemed more intense but i think cuz with my first they came on gradualy. But im 100% for natural birth i beileve its better for u and the baby. Its really ur choice , but i say go natural. Just keep in mind the contractions the worst part and its gone in 30 secs. yea it comes back but goes away again if u can do that u can do it :) GL
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• if they induce its going to be more painful for your body because they are making your body contract, if they do induce you can always try and nobody will think badly of you if you decide you need the epidural. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 8:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would suggest to keep your options open and see how things go once you're in labor. If you get induced you may find labor very different than last time around. My plan was to go natural as long as I could and to reserve the right to get my epidural if the pain became too much. I didn't plan on being induced but that's what happened. I lasted about 12 hours and then I opted for the epidural. It didn't completely numb me as I have heard some women talk about and I still felt a pretty good deal of pain at the end of labor even with the epidural. In fact, when I got the bill I wanted to send them half the payment since I figured the epidural only half worked- lol! Whatever you choose, good luck!!!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I was a pretty good ways into my labor before they gave me my epidural what was the worst part to you?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Induction might make it hurt worse because it causes unnatural contractions that your body and baby weren't really meant to handle. If you aren't induced, it probably won't be THAT much worse. I went naturally and I was only in "OMG! OOOWWWW!" kind of pain for maybe 5 minutes (as I dilated from 8.5-10cm). Pushing was a breeze for me, too, thankfully. Or at least it would have been if I'd been able to eat or sleep during the 70 hours of labor. Stupid hospital. Just don't go into it thinking, "Oh this is going to hurt so bad! I won't be able to do this!" or anything like that. Stay positive and focus on seeing your baby and things to take your mind off the pain and you'll probably be fine. If you decide you can't handle it without an epidural,that's ok, too.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• The worse part is when the head is right there hand in between, at lease that was the most painful part for me
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have had 2 natural births with no pain meds. I would rather go the natural route than to have an epidural. It hurt but not so much that I felt the need to numb the lower half of my body.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• This is very helpful since i am going to be at the hospital anyway i was thinking i can always get one if i feel it neccessary but i hate to leave the option to open in my mind because then i might cop out to soon haha but everyone also kept telling me how horrible it would be so it seemed like a breeze compared. I want to be able to do it naturaly and if it was as quick and smooth as my 1st i think i could do it but also pushing does concern me to i tore quiet badly the 1st time and needed several stitches.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Natural birth = bliss!!
    :-D
    Avoid induction because it adds unnecessary risks to you & baby.

If you don't want to tear then avoiding unnecessary interventions is important (induction/lying down to labor, especially!).

Moms can have huge tears with their smaller babies and NO tears with their bigger babies (like my 10-pounder/perfect perineum).
    There are ways to have a safer birth experience.

Avoiding an unnecessary induction is important.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011