Crazy ultra sound results! Anyone else experience this?

So I had an ultra sound weeks ago when I first found out I was pregnant and they determined I was about 8 weeks. From here my Dr. gave me a due date of June 21st and I went about with my new pregnancy. This weekend I experienced some bleeding and the ER had concerns about my amniotic fluid levels so my Dr. moved what I thought was my 18 week ultra sound from Thursday until today. According to today's ultra sound I'm only 15 weeks! I know its normal for your due date to fluctuate by a few days or even a week, but my Doc was 3 weeks off! My new due date is July 11, and I have to come back in about a month for another ultra sound since most of my little girl's (yes its a girl!!) anatomy isn't developed yet. I'm happy that my amniotic fluid levels are normal for being only 15 weeks and not 18, but has anyone else experienced a due date that was that off? The results were unexpected to say the least lol

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• With my last pregnancy the doctor told me that during the first 12 weeks all babies grow at the same rate so they do an ultrasound to determine the due date. So when I was 10 weeks they gave me a due date. When I had my twenty week ultrasound the baby was measuring small so they changed my due date - made it two weeks later. Which I was totally confused since they told me they only grow the same during the first 12 weeks so why would they even compare size after that for a due date? Anyway, my dd came 2 days after the first due date I was given.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Ultrasounds are just a guess. The best thing to go off of is you LMP. My sons due date was July 11th :) but he came on the 8th.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have not personally and it would a little overwhelming to hear this news. Good luck.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• due dates are just an estimate
    bobbietrayer

Answer by bobbietrayer at 8:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My LMP was over 2 years ago, baby was conceived while on my IUD, so ultra sound results are all I can really base my due date off of
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• You conceived while on the iud and not menstruating, that is a bigger surprise than the ultrasound lol. Good luck they can be off even by going by your lmp. It is only a guess.

Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Well, at least she's coming 3 weeks later than you had planned instead of 3 weeks sooner! You now have 3 extra weeks to prepare!! lol That didn't happen to me, but I also knew my lmp. Best wishes!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2011