I'm thinking of starting my 15 week old on rice cereal mixed with her formula...thoughts? Is it too soon? Is it an old wives tale that it will help her sleep longer at night?

hg216

Asked by hg216 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• TO SOON! Never start anything unless the doctor says it's okay and no it doesn't help them sleep longer.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My daugher was 8 weeks when she started cereal and it did help her sleep longer, but always check with your doctor
    mandy628

Answer by mandy628 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• In my opinion it's too soon. Some babies are just going to be fussier than others or not sleep as well as others. Feeding baby rice isn't necessarily going to make anything better. It could in fact cause tummy pains making things worse. My kids were at least 5 months old. My youngest was 6 months old before he got rice. I think once you start solids, they are on solids forever- so enjoy the months where you only have to worry about bottles and formula.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Check with the doctor first, we waited until around 6 months. Different doctors have different opinions. I know moms who started between 4 and 6 months.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I'd ask your pediatrician not us just because some people are going to exclaim too soon while others will tell you its fine. A pediatrician knows best, and you don't have to make an appt just call and ask the nurse. As for sleeping longer for some children it does help, because they're getting fuller at each meal so they don't need to eat as often throughout the night. Most children who are formula fed sleep longer lengths then breast fed at those early ages, and those on solid baby foods typically sleep longer then those on liquid diets. Its like if you eat a big meal versus a small snack, the more full you are before bed the longer you sleep. But just talk with your pediatrician and if they give you the ok then go for it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I started my first child on rice cereal when he was only four to five weeks old because he was going through two eight ounce bottles a feeding it didnt help him sleep through the night but it did help with his eating so much
    bobbietrayer

Answer by bobbietrayer at 8:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I am having the same problem.... Pediatrician told me we could introduce after 4 months... I don't honestly know how to give her the rice cereal- Bottle? Spoon? I just don't know if she is ready.Sorry, I just asked more questions rather than helping with yours!!
    msparklym13

Answer by msparklym13 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Ive read in a baby magazine its safer to start around 6 mnths.
    NyasMommy1

Answer by NyasMommy1 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Your child. None of us here can really tell you what to do. I will tell you that My oldest started cereal very young. No problems. My second oldest was placed on cereal young by his doctor due to reflux. My 3rd was given cereal young too... again no problems. However, DD wouldn't' and as of this moment, has never taken cereal. No matter how I mix it, what I mix it with and how I give it to her...Nuh uh. Her doc knows and says some kids a different. Honestly I would really, really talk to baby's pediatrician before hand. Ask if your baby is ready? I know a mother who started her son a cereal at 2 months. He is 11 months now, and obese. He ways as much as a 2 year old. He can barely stand. She has no plans on stopping. I would think she would She did this with all her children and the entire family is obese.

Anyway as I said, Talk to baby's ped. GL mama.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 8:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I started my son on cereal at 2 months due to acid reflux. It helped and he is not obese we actually just had to up his intake b/c he wasnt gaining weight. honestly each child if different. Some peds so go for it while others say wait! If its just in hopes for baby to sleep longer then I wouldnt, It might upset the tummy and constipate the poor little thing. If your child is acting hungry CONSTANTLY then talk with your doc and most of all do what feels right to you. It is your child, you know what is best so do what you feel is right, NOT what we feel is right b/c it might not be the best thing for you baby. Good luck :)
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011