Is it bad to allow my 14 week old to sleep in a swing for most of the night? She is almost rolling over in her crib and I'm worried because she doesn't have the strength to roll herself back and will end up face down. I have been keeping her in the swing this past week but don't want her to get used to it. I'm also concerned I'm establishing a sleep habit so she won't want to sleep in her crib. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter rolled over when she was 12 weeks old and her doctor told me as long as she can roll over she is okay to sleep on her stomach but always talk to your doctor, they might have some suggestions for you
    mandy628

Answer by mandy628 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My DD spent most of her first 5 months in her swing and sleeps very well in her crib and has ever since. BTW she is just over 2 1/2.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If she's rolling, I'd be worried about her trying to roll and rolling out of the swing. You'd be much safer letting her roll in her bed, than letting her sleep in the swing and possibly rolling & falling out of that (It's not impossibly, my 2 middle babies were always trying to roll over in the swing, then falling out).
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't be to concerned. don't leave her in the swing when she is in the room by herself all night. but if she is sleeping for you in there there is no harm in plopping yourself down on the couch next to baby and getting some shut eye. to me there were times that my baby swing was a blessing....i can see your fear of her rolling over in her bed and being face down. if she is in her crib just make sure there is no soft toys or pillows or unneeded blankets and she should be fine. but i was and still am an over protective mother. if her being in her swing is helping to keep her safe i wouldn't sweat it. but just don't leave her in there all night in a room by herself.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 8:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Letting a child sleep in a swing most of the night shouldnt be done. It has been studied that it isnt good for their growth being hunched in a swing most of the night plus...she may be sleeping now but would you want to sleep in a swing all night or in a bed? Every mother has that fear that her baby wont be able to lift their head if they roll on their belly and face. They make special things to keep them on their side in their crib, a wedge, also the older she gets the bigger she gets and she wont fit in the swing after awhile and then youll have even more trouble getting her to sleep in her crib. Id put her back in her crib as soon as possible and just deal with it.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 8:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Usually if the child has the muscle strength required to roll onto their stomach its ok for them to sleep on it too. Rolling onto the stomach requires neck muscles that a smaller baby doesn't possess and that's the danger in sleeping on the stomach too early, because they can't move their head for air. If she can roll onto her stomach she possesses the muscles necessary to move her head for air.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I agree that I would be afraid of her rolling out of the swing. We had our daughter sleeping in a car seat/stroller until she was about 3 months. She had acid reflux and slept better in the upright position. We got her medicine and moved her to her crib since we were afraid of her rolling. She started rolling on to her stomach right away and still prefers to sleep on her stomach.
    lala9

Answer by lala9 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• If she is rolling over in the bed she is fine. I would be more afraid if she rolled over while in her swing. That is dangerous.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• can she lift her head while on her tummy? If yes, then she should be ok to sleep on her tummy.

But please, please, please...don't let her sleep in the swing for more than 3 hours at any time. It is bad for their circulation, and can casue cramping in the legs, and be harmful towards their growth.

If your concern is her not lifting her head, it would be safter for her to sleep in a bouncy chair (buckled in safe) or a car seat (buckled in), where her legs are only slightly bent.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Buy one of those wedges that won't allow her to roll over. Being in a swing all night isn't good for her back development.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011