Bumper or no Bumper??

My 4 1/2 month old has a bumber on her crib... I am constantly watching the monitor to make sure she doesn't get close to it, but I can't prevent it! How many of you used bumpers? I really don't want to take her bumper off as she is moving like crazy and could seriously bump her head. I ordered the "Go Mama Go" bumper rail pads, but my husband thinks they aren't necessary and to just keep the bumper we have. Thoughts?

msparklym13

Asked by msparklym13 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took the bumper off the crib the moment i was yelled at by the nurse in the hospital because of the "risk" I then found out quick enough that his limbs kept getting caught. His arms and legs would get stuck and he would scream either out of pain or fear and id freak. I put the bumper back on and hadnt had a problem since. I just made the bumper as tight as could to keep it from bunching up and i tucked it between the crib and mattress so it didnt ride up and catch on his head or anything.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 8:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I took off the bumpers once my son learned to move around and loss and turn everywhere
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Bobbysgurl, that is EXACTLY what I am worried about!! I just can't figure out which is the greater risk!! My nanny said I was crazy to take the bumber off because of her arms getting between them or bumping her head. I just don't know what to do!!
    msparklym13

Comment by msparklym13 (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have the bumper on and not to worried about it.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I always had a bumper and never once saw a reason to worry about it... Parents these days find WAY to many reasons to worry about needless things.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I would say the greater risk is getting caugeht, in my opinion. My son slept on his back for the first month or so and then turned to his belly when he was ready. They also have whats called a wedge, this will keep the baby in place in their crib on their side and she wont move towards the bumper, if your worried. I have learned you can sit there and worry till you fall over but babies are so resilient and stronger than we think. Yes accidents happen unfortunately and we do what we can to prevent them but in the end part of being a mother is not hyperventilating..lol i know...it sounds strange and plus she is so young but still...its kinda of like the thing i used to do, my son would fall into a deep sleep id freak that he wasnt breathing and wake him up just to make sure he was breathing then he would scream. Youll drive yourself crazy. Just do what you can, to the best of your ability and thats all you can do.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 9:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• i took the bumpers and wove it between the rails so she couldnt get to close to it and not breath! i took them off at 5 months when she started sleeping on her tummy!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have a bumper on mine, and haven't had a reason to worry yet.
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 9:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I use a breathable bumper in the crib. It isn't soft like the other bumpers but it keeps their limbs from getting stuck. Also it is kind of flimsy so they can't stand on it to climb out. My daughter 17 months old and still has it in her crib.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Hi Ladies, Does your little one put their head against the bumper sometimes when sleeping?? Thank you for all of your feedback!
    msparklym13

Comment by msparklym13 (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011