Toddler Bed

What's a good age to move my toddler from a crib to a bed? How do you keep your child in bed all night?

lala9

Asked by lala9 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2yrs old. I put my daughter in at 18 months but she kept getting out. I'm waiting till my son is at lease 2 before I try it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• We put our son in his bed at 2 and a half. We were lucky, he rarely gets out of bed, doesn't fight going to sleep or anything!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• When they can climb out of their crib they need a toddler bed. Until then I'd say keep the crib because it prevents them from getting up, and once you introduce the "big kid" bed you have to teach the behavior of staying in the big kid bed. For some children this is easy, and for other's you'll find yourself wanting the crib back. At 23 months my son climbed out of his crib and fell, getting a nice size goose egg on his head. I went out the next day and bought him his toddler bed. My friends kid never tried to climb out, so she waited until 2.5 to move him.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• My son didn't move to his toddler bed until he was 3.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I moved my son into one when he was right about 2 and it was a big mistake...so for our daughter we decided to keep her in the crib until she started to climb out...fortunately she never tried to climb out and we switched her just after she turned 3 for night time potty training...she did relatively well and understood better that it was bedtime and not to keep getting up.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• MY kids slept in thier cribs till 1 years old and then had a toddler bed w/ sides just try to keep a bed time routine
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I just got my daughter a toddler bed, tonight is her third night in it, and she's doing really well. She's 2 yrs and 1month. I decided to get her a toddler bed since she could just about climb out of her crib, and I figured it was less of a fall if she rolled out of the bed, lol! I do have a hard time keeping her in it for naps, but I just put a baby gate up and let her play if she gets out of bed...she goes back to the bed when she gets tired enough. She's done really well at bedtime, I think it makes her feel more independent because even though I put her to bed at a certain time, I let her get up in the morning of her own accord, and she comes racing into the living room asking for juice in the morning :)
    Neelah

Answer by Neelah at 3:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I'm waiting until DD turns 2 to put her in a toddler bed! Good luck hun!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 6:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2011