Does anyone have a toddler with autism?

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter w/ mild autism and I just had a baby 6 weeks ago, it is really tough because she doesn't understand that she has a new baby sister that needs attention too, does anyone have any tips on how to help her better understand? And does it get any better?

mandy628

Asked by mandy628 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter with PDD NOS was 3 when my son was born. They are 9 and 6 now. The first few years were very hard. I got her involved in helping me (even in the smallest ways) to help him. I read stories while feeding him. Once he could smile she found him to be more interesting and would do silly things to make him laugh. It helped her socially to interact with him so in the long run I am glad she had a brother at that time in her life.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 9:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011