TANF How long can u be on it beofre u have have a job? I recently had a unforunate issue with my schooling and I have been pondering if i need to get on tanf. I have been looking for a job this week but no leads. I have two kids and one is 6 months old. If anyone can give my advice on tanf it wouldbe great

pandpmommy

Asked by pandpmommy at 9:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• When you apply for TANF there are alot if stipulations. Depending on what state. In Texas they will question if you and the father of your children are together. If not they will attempt to file child support. They have to get the $$ back somehow. They will also ask you to go to worksource. There you'll received a paper (if they are still doing it this way) you have to take it with you to every interview and/or application. You must have someone where you were applying or interviewing sign off that you were really there. You have a set amount you must do every week.

Thats how I remember it.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Go apply, there is a possibility you can just get one lump sum for your situation. In my state with a child under 1 you are not required to work, however if you work they give you assistance with day care regardless of a waitlist you get pushed right through.

You do have to file for child support if you start getting monthly assistance, and they assist you with gas mileage and everything, There is a state deadline, that varies from place to place and a federal deadline! Once you hit those there is no chance at getting further assistance. You will have to sign over papers saying you will get drug tested at their request, and a few other things...
    In my county we have to go through an entrance class...and it explains all of these things!! HTH! GL.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2011