Do children and young adults in your community find it cool

to act like thugs, gangsta's? Cussing? Make provocative statements in their actions, dress, words? How is this age appropriate behavior? Who finds this acceptable?
I know kids will be kids. But oh my, the tone young adults, teens, and even middle schoolers have for older adults and authority.

myame

Asked by myame at 9:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Very nice JZ10! Most of the time the public blames the parents, and I think this maybe very true for those adults. Kids now day have alot of power with the adults, and they know it. All they have to do is call family services,and tell them they are scared of mom/dad and they have been beaten by them. When I was younger I lived in a VERY small town whereif u did something bad or stealing. ect, the adults didn't hesitant to yell at them and telling them to behave. Get the shit knocked out of u if u so much as think about back talking an adult. Kids now need to get a rude wake up call.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:47 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• I think it's everywhere. And its more environmental, like that's what they live so that's what they express. I believe in self expression, but there is a line between expressing yourself and provoking and harming others either by words or actions. I've lived in 4 cities in the past 18 months and worked in another and I have seen it everywhere. I now live in a bigger city and do see it more so than others in the past year. Morality isn't being taught as well as respect. It's more finger pointing and disciplining the negative rather that reinforcing the positive.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• "Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."
    — Socrates
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 9:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I keep to myself but I do have a neighbor who sounds a lot like this and he has three kids! He always has the base pumping and the sound in his car so loud it can wake me up (yes it's all hours of the day and night) then he puts his kids in the car with the music like that. I can tell that there are cuss words and I've seen him sing the cuss words to his kids. The oldest kid looks about 7 years old and the youngest is still in an infant car seat.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Mostly, the posers give up the game before they're about 16.. otherwise, it's either just the clothing fashion (and yes, there's lots of that 'look') or they actually are gangsters.

Kids have been playing 'shocking the nuns' when unsupervised since... oooh, what, 2000 years ago at least. I expect poorly supervised children to behave like poorly supervised children. Why wouldn't they? Who's going to do anything about that?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2011