How does anyone stand living with DH's family?

We live with my husband's family and I can't take this anymore. His sister is the biggest brat on the planet and is violent towards everyone even her parents. His Mom is a clean freak and both of his parents openly insult there kids i.e. call them stupid, fat, someone won't shower for a day and they are too greasy to look at. The worst is that if we fight it's common knowledge,same with if DS has one of his colicky moments. Hell it was basically a small scandal the first time we took a shower together and we'd been married for four months. I'm just glad my son is too young to know what's being said and done around him but I'm scarred that we won't be able to move out before he's old enough to know what's going on. How do you keep from verbally ripping peoples heads off ? How do you deal with the lack of privacy,cause we are here till December?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• Try not to engage in openly sexual behavior, such as showering together, if it upsets them. Realize that they are doing you a favor. Although if you and your husband are paying a decent rent, utilities, food and other supplies... well it still is a favor, because if you can pay this much you might be able to find a small place on your own? I sympathize with trying to get along with them when you aren't compatible with them. Try to keep your family in your own room as much as possible so your son isn't exposed to the undesirable behavior.

Answer by Bmat at 9:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Wow, that is a lot to put up with, favor or not. Is there any way you could move sooner?
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• We're staying with my in-laws while we are saving up for a down payment (house), but I think any time you live with the 'rents (whether it's his or yours) there's bound to be some issues. The only qualms I have living here are his sister's think my stuff is community property and I actually have to hide my shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, and other bathroom products because if I don't they'll use it all. Also we buy food, the sister in laws don't and then expect to eat ours. The one sister teaches at 3 different schools so she obviously has money, she just chooses to blow it on shit she doesn't need (did I mention she's 30 and lives at home?), the other goes to school and gets money through the school so it's not like she can't afford her own stuff. They both go on vacations and eat out all the time and stuff. Sorry, I got off track bitching about them but yeah, I think anyone that lives with in-laws has some problem or another
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Nope they just cut DH's hours down to 10 hours a week at work but this was the only job that would find.So we can't afford more then 250$ a month.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• nanixh we have to do that with food cause even if we label it she's eats it. Basically if she wants it she takes it that's why she has a ban from the local grocery store for shoplifting.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• feel betterwow i dont know how u do it.. i would go nuts living with my parents or in laws. i sympathize.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:19 AM on Jan. 19, 2011