Midwife predicting due date

A friend is using a midwife for their prenatal care and delivery. The midwife keeps changing her due date and it is not just a few days change, but a difference of 2 to 5 wks difference. So far there are have been 3 different due dates and it seems a little unprofessional. they are not going to have an ultra sound either and maybe this is why the midwife is sure about the dates. Is this normal?

Aries46845

Asked by Aries46845 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• a due date is estimated and can be off by up to 2 weeks in either direction. the midwife is probably going off of measurments which can be tricky and change with the way the baby is laying...sounds like your friend is wanting to be surprised anyway so as long as everything is going well with the pregnancy and she is getting prenatal care the due date shouldnt make much of a difference since the baby will come when its ready anyway.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I went to a regular obgyn and they gave me 3 due dates and i knew the exact date i concieved so maybe its just a baby thing haha.
    ALEXANDRAGN

Answer by ALEXANDRAGN at 9:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I had similar results with an OB/GYN and several ultrasounds. The range of due dates covered 4 weeks and 2 days. Meanwhile, once the hemmorhage sealed, I switched to the care of a midwife and had a homebirth on my baby's time! Had I been with an OB/GYN who was unsure of the due date I surely would have ended up with a host of unnecessary interventions.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:46 AM on Jan. 19, 2011

• Not unprofessional if the midwife based a due date off of the woman's "last known period," and the woman had no clue when her last known period was! (How many of us actually keep the EXACT dates?)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2011