Second Child introduction to First Child

We will be having our second child this year and our DD seems happy for the new baby. I am not sure what anticipate later after the baby is home. Any great tips to help with the new addition to the family?

Aries46845

Asked by Aries46845 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am in the same boat so am interested to hear some answers. My son is only 4 months now but will be my aware of whats going on by time to bring another baby home.
    ALEXANDRAGN

Answer by ALEXANDRAGN at 9:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• How old is your dd? Hospitals usually have a big sibling class she can take if she is old enough. My first was 13 months old when we brought home his little brother, he just went with it. Didn't really seem to mind at all, there wasn't any jealousy or anything. When we brought dd home our boys were 20 months and almost 3. Again, there wasn't really any jealousy. The biggest issue was that they learned that when I was nursing I couldn't jump up really fast , lol. But they love their baby sister. Now they are 1, 3 and 4 and are great friends.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Well I had a 10 month old and a newborn so the first thing is when we got the baby home every time she cried so did my other one. The crying scared her so she would cry too. That lasted about a week or so than she was fine. Scheduling is key, having them sleep at the same time and eating at the same time was hard at first, but I tweeked it and heck they were even pooping at the same time...lol.  Now they are both in 3rd grade and in the same class.  It's hard at first, but you won't be bored at all.  GL & GB

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• include her in! have her help you feed (if bottle feeding), change him (ask her to get a new diaper, or throw the old one away), help you pick out clothes. have her hold him (with you doing most of the holding of course lol), make sure you have time for her, while the baby is sleeping, have some one on one time with her, so she doesn't feel left out or jealous. GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• ummm well when i was pregnant with dd, ds was 1 when we were 11 weeks. he would kiss my belly and blow kisses on it. on the day i had my dd, ds came to the hospital with me and was there before i was wheeled in. after my csection my dd was brought to the room and ds was able to say hi. then when i was in the room i had them put ds on the bed and showed him his sissy. he was very come with her and kissed her head. i think its up to how u think ur older child will act. good luck
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 9:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I think our hospital has a sibiling area where they can hangout and play with toys in the waiting room during the delivery of baby. Of course other family members will be with her at the time and she will be happy to have their attention.
    Aries46845

Comment by Aries46845 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Include her in everything and don't leave her out. Don't ever let her think she's getting replaced or the new baby is getting all the attention. My oldest DD turned 4 right before we had our 2nd DD last year and she was excited about it but I was afraid there would be problems but I've just done all the stuff I said above and things are just fine now and they're actually in the bedroom playing with each other lol
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• This is probably going to sound outlandish to most of you, but the birth of a baby is a family event. My daughter was with me when my son was born (she was 2 at the time). Seeing her baby brother be born (kind of, I was knealing, you couldn't really see anything lol), I think, helped her to adjust to his presence. I also make sure to spend special time where it's JUST me and her, no baby around, where I can give her my full attention. This usually happens during one of his naps or when my husband is home so he can keep the baby for an hour or so.

I did not find including her in his care helpful at all. She didn't care, you know? She wouldn't bring diapers or blankets... so I just let her love on him whenever she wants and ask her to share her toys with him sometimes. That has worked for us.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2011