how to help my 5 year old daughter with Austim when she have her meltdown

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Realize that she is not being herself at the moment and make sure she is safe and offer any love that she is willing to take. Good luck.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• my son is 10 with mild autism. all you can really do with any kind of meltdown or upset, is talk to them & try to be there to calm them down & help them thru. i know, it can be frustrating. i guess just imagine how frustrating it is for them, very much so..this is why they have any sort of meltdown when they are overwhelmed.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• Thank you so much, Mrs.Coop and hellokitty1978, the meltdowns hurt me cause I can't help her just like today her therapy let one of the other children be a line leader today and my daughter was so upset when she came out she was crying so bad I did not know what to do and the therapy didn't know either she wanted to be the line leader so bad she cried and cried I tried to talk to her to get her mine off it but it took awhile I'm glad I have someone else to talk to about this.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2011

• I have a 5 yr old son with Aspergers.......big hug to you! The meltdowns can be brutal, my son has the worst ones when I pick him up from school. But the therapist has explained to me that alot of children on the spectrum that function at school are holding stuff in and "dealing" the best way they can, so when they see us "mommy or whoever is there comfort" they can relax, let loose and often that is when the reality of all they dealt with through out the day hits!!! Figure out the triggers/stressors remove her from them if possible and remain calm. I agree with the other posters, make sure they are safe and use any technique you know to calm and reassure her! Good luck!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 20, 2011